Signed(?) Ceramic Cat Dish: Does anyone recognize this?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Carnivant, Aug 23, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

Here is a cat dish I picked up recently (thrift store). No particular reason why... I just thought it was funky and well made. While the entire dish is painted, front and back, the very bottom is unglazed. Quite a bit of crackling in the glaze as well. It looks like there could be a signature at the bottom of the base, next to the tail, although it could also just be a scribble.

I imagine this is just a well made studio pottery piece which will not be able to be identified further, but on the off chance that someone here recognizes anything about it, I thought I would post it. Any help is appreciated!

20240823_162835.jpg 20240823_162929.jpg 20240823_162936.jpg

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

A fun piece. Looks 1950s-60s to me.

Carnivant and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve seen these, can’t remember who made them. Arg.

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Ditto

Carnivant likes this.
  5. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Thank you all for your comments!

I was able to find one vaguely similar on Worthpoint... if you squint... or are mostly blind...

EBAY.jpg
    (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/studio-pottery-calico-cat-spoon-rest-4731850994)

The back is nowhere near similar to mine, so I'm guessing whoever created that one also had a vague recollection of my piece (or whatever style it's in). Still can't find one very close to mine though. Guess that search continues. :)

Potteryplease likes this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The technique on yours is sponged, if that helps.

Carnivant likes this.
  7. Poppies

Poppies Member

Last edited: Aug 27, 2024
    Any Jewelry and kentworld like this.
  8. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

I have indeed tried using that term when searching for this piece... no luck yet. x)

This piece was found in central Canada. Unfortunately, the backs of the Hannah Turner pieces are much different:

EBAYY.png
    (Just from a sold eBay listing.)

Poppies and kentworld like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted