Featured Signed and sketched comic by Francois Craenhals

Discussion in 'Art' started by Stanzerl, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

I have a signed and sketched comic by Francois Craenhals. He died in 2004 in Montpellier, France.

I was just wondering if this Comic might be of any value, since I can't find any signed and sketched ones out there. I appreciate any ideas, suggestions, tips and help. Thank you so much!
    IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0031.JPG IMG_0030.JPG IMG_0029.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Stanzerl and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  4. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The value will be greatly increased by the sketch and signature.

Can anyone translate the French writing? I can not. <3

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

There doesn't seem to be much demand for his work in France. This copy did quite well but it's a 1956 first edition. (Yours appears to be a reprint.) Nevertheless, one would think a inscription with sketch by author would be of interest to someone.

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/EO-Pom-Teddy...738930?hash=item283b7cfd72:g:B3AAAOSwu55ZemJ1

As an fyi, here's the French wikipedia.com entry for "Pom et Teddy" I ran through Google Translate for you.

https://translate.google.com/transl...edia.org/wiki/Pom_et_Teddy&edit-text=&act=url

Debora

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

"For Carn, with a smile of (from?) Maggy"

The bottom line looks like "and a bijou of the (something I can't read) of Belgium. "

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Think it's "Cara" and "maman."

Debora

Stanzerl and Ghopper1924 like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pour Cara, avec un sourire de Maggy: For Cara, with a smile from Maggy.
    Signature.
    et un bizou de la maman de Belgique: and a kiss from the mom/mum/mother of Belgium.

As far as I know 'bizou' should be spelled bisou, but it could be deliberate here, a private thing.

9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

It's good to see you here, @Stanzerl -- I think it has been a while since you posted. Sorry I can't help with your question.

Stanzerl and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  10. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Thank you so much! It does sound quite personal, maybe this person was an exchange student hat his house and/or something similar, doesn't it?!?!?

11. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Thanks @Figtree3, it is good to be back! But I will only be able to stop by every once in a while, since we have some big personal things coming up at home. But it is great to see you again!

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Stanzerl likes this.
  13. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Great, Debora! Thanks! This gives me a way better idea! The sketch I have is more detailed and in a better overall state, incl. the comic book, even though it is a reprint, but still. Thanks again!!!!

14. Any Jewelry

Yes, your sketch is much nicer, and in the book. And the text more special.
    The ebay one says A BRIGITTE AVEC LES MEILLEURES AMITIES DE MAGGY, To Brigitte with the best regards from Maggy. A pretty standard line.

15. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It reads thus: For Cara with a smile from Maggy.

Then below, and with a kiss from the mother from Belgium. De, in this context, means from. For example, I might say, Je suis du Royaume-Uni. A better translation might be Belgian mother.

Bizou is a common colloquialism in French for kiss and is often spelled that way.

16. Any Jewelry

My French is too rusty, maybe @kyratango can shed some light on the text.
    I was wondering about the Belgique line, because the French name for Belgium is 'la Belgique'. So I am from Belgium is je suis de la Belgique.
    That is why I thought the 'mother of Belgium', the text seems to be for someone Craenhals knew well, it could be a private thing.

17. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

it says de Belgique. That's grammatically correct, you omit the definite article for a feminine country. Je suis d'Angleterre is correct, for example. There's many other cases where that applies.

18. Any Jewelry

Of course, thanks for reminding me.
    The last time I was in France was in 1992. I still read French occasionally, but that doesn't help much with active language skills.

19. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

AJ, your French isn't as rusty as you think ;)
    Though Ownedbybear is right for "de Belgique" translated in from Belgium :)
    Idem for Bisou, being right spelling, you're right, some like to transform it! Personnally, I write "bizzzouss" to mimic the sound of a kiss:happy:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted