Featured Sidney Z Lucas Art Deco Print - Is This An Aquatint?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Not Sure What This Is, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Not Sure What This Is

Not Sure What This Is Active Member

I just acquired this print of two females, although one is supposed to be Pierrot. The margin has the SZL logo and handwritten next to that is "Pierrot" - on the other side of the margin the artist's name "Faure" is handwritten. The bottom left corner is printed No. 1012 Made in USA. I know that Lucas used to commission artists to produce engravings and aquatints that they would sign in the margin. I think that this is an aquatint, but I'm not sure. Definitely no dots like you would see in a lithograph. Can anyone confirm this for me? Also, would anyone know this artist - there are a lot of artists with the last name of Faure.
    Would appreciate any help
    Faure-Art-Deco-Pierrot-Print-2.jpg Faure-Art-Deco-Pierrot-Print-0.jpg Faure-Art-Deco-Pierrot-Print-3.jpg

judy, Any Jewelry and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I'd guess aquatint and etching. The two usually go hand-in-hand. I've read that the SZL prints were usually runs of 200 to 300.

judy likes this.
  3. Not Sure What This Is

Thanks moreotherstuff!

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And those are a male and a female figures. Pierrot is drawn very much in the 1920s matinée idol style epitomized by Ramon Navarro among others.

Debora

b3150b8720dc6ab09328d2fcc177c6ec.jpg

moreotherstuff and BoudiccaJones like this.
  5. Not Sure What This Is

Deborah - maybe you're right. The eyelashes and bone structure looked female to me. But, maybe that's an Adam's apple....

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't think there's any ambiguity about the artist's intent... The piece is entitled 'Pierrot' and Pierrot is a male character.

Debora

moreotherstuff and BoudiccaJones like this.
  7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

It's a bouquet of flowers on the ground and a man's shoe.
    I do believe it's a man. :happy:

8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Pierrot's hands and feet are pretty small.
    Women can dress up as Pierrot too, and they can give each other flowers. I used to wear a Pierrot costume for our southern Dutch carnaval, with similar shoes. I would also wear my hair combed back, but mine was in a ponytail.

Draft saved Draft deleted