Featured Sideboard info?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bb11, Jul 25, 2024.

1. bb11

bb11 New Member

Can someone help me with an approximate decade/era on this sideboard? The length is 62", height 42", depth 22". I haven't been able to find any info on it, online. The duck carved doors etc and no makers mark that I could find. I am guessing maybe sometime in the 1800's, is that possible? But I'm not sure and was hoping for some help with that.
    It's solid mahogany on the top, sides, drawer fronts and doors. Rough hewn slats make up the back which has rectangle rough shaped nails, with black lined holes around them where the iron has changed the wood. The drawer sides and backs are likely maple and look to be hand cut dove tails. The two inside doors are set back a few inches more than the outside 2 doors. I bought it for $65 CAD in Vancouver, Canada. IMG_8284 copy.jpeg IMG_8293 copy.jpeg IMG_8288 copy.jpeg IMG_8286 copy 2.jpeg IMG_8334 copy.jpeg IMG_8336 copy.jpeg

Ghopper1924, komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

England 1885..or so..?

sabre123, bb11 and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Very unusual. Thinking 1860s-80s, and Komo may well be right:English. Although it’s from the Rococo/Renaissance Revival periods it is withal rather plain. Still, quite handsome and a crazy bargain at that price!

Aquitaine, mirana, sabre123 and 2 others like this.
  4. bb11

bb11 New Member

Thank you, I wondered if it might be English, that's very helpful. I also think you're right, it is kind of plain for that revival period (I just looked up the period you mentioned) but those ducks are really over the top so I don't know. Also good to know it was a bargain, as I thought it was a steal.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. bb11

bb11 New Member

Thank you, I wondered if it might be English, and hoped maybe 1800's ish.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Something very odd about this piece. Wonder if it is a rather plain piece that has been embellished with salvaged carvings. The top appears all wrong. I am also not convinced that the base molding is original either.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto.
    The carvings look like they could have come from a much more flamboyant Belgian or French cabinet. And I agree, the top looks like it is a replacement.

komokwa likes this.
  8. bb11

bb11 New Member

Thank you for taking a look at it, it's definitely an odd piece. I didn't consider that maybe it's cobbled together with different pieces, interesting. I did sand the top of it, as it had terrible water stain marks on it.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. bb11

bb11 New Member

Thanks for taking a look. I had to sand the top quite a bit as it was so stained. I should have posted the photos of it before I did any work to the top piece. The carvings are really interesting and strange.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd expect the bird carvings to mirror each other if original. And, oddly, the three sets of carvings don't share a design motif.

Debora

bb11 likes this.
  11. bb11

bb11 New Member

So true, they don't share a design motif! Very odd.

12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The top two carvings don't mirror each other either.
    A mystery sideboard.;)

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The top being refinished is not what is making it odd. The moldings around the edge are not as one would expect a piece of this age to have. Looks like it has had a new top put on with moldings added to finish off the edges. The top may be plywood (or veneered particleboard) with the moldings added to hide the rough edges. The dots would be concealing screws.

14. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

To add to the overall “oddness,” the decorative plaques are not only not mirrors to each other, as Debora stated above, but the plaque themes of ducks below and flowers above ARE appropriate to the time frame I mentioned.
    I’m starting to think that this looks like a hobby piece, perhaps later into the 1920s, one where the cabinet maker bothered to research Rococo and Renaissance Revival decoration but didn’t bother to copy how they were integrated into mid-19th Century pieces, perhaps through lack of time or skill.

mirana, bb11 and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's an odd duck !

bb11 and Drew like this.
  16. bb11

bb11 New Member

The top is definitely solid mahogany. By looking up under the piece, from under the top drawers, you can see the grain underneath, matches the grain on top and the colour etc. This is such an odd piece! or as @komokwa says "it's an odd duck"!!!

komokwa likes this.
  17. bb11

bb11 New Member

That's a totally interesting take, really cool and makes sense. Thanks so much for spending time and expertise checking out this "odd duck" piece of furniture. So appreciated! Thank you to everyone. I really enjoyed your considerations.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  18. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Couldn't the decorations be salvaged from another piece?

Draft saved Draft deleted