Sideboard/Buffet

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tammie, Apr 8, 2022.

1. Tammie

Tammie New Member

Good evening!

My name is Tammie and I am from Ontario, Canada. I inherited this piece from my maternal great grandmother and really want to know more about it.
    I am pretty sure it is mission style and made after 1848 due to machine screws present. The drawers are all dovetailed with the doors being tongue and groove. It is also standing on wooden casters.
    We are unsure of wood type (oak?) but we plan to carefully restore it to its former glory. There are no stamps, marks or indicators of mfg.

20220408_200448.jpg 20220408_200358.jpg 20220408_200509.jpg

Any direction would be amazing.

Edited to add:

20220408_212149.jpg found this on the back of the mirror...
    There are literally no other markings.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2022
    judy likes this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @Tammie & welcome to the forum!! :happy::happy:

I can not help with your piece of furniture but others will be along who can help.

It might be helpful to post a photo of the back of your piece & maybe some photos of the construction you mentioned.

Has the drawer on the left been stripped?

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Yes, after 1848 for sure. I'd guess 1920s, and oak. Can't wait to see how you do with the restoration!!

4. Erstwhile

Erstwhile Active Member

The stenciled date (3-3-16) on the mirror is probably pretty close to the age of the piece.

Figtree3, johnnycb09, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, I saw that the back of the mirror says "HOBBS GOLD MEDAL", went looking for that......found ONE link that refers to a PDF file that you can download..... here's the link first:
    https://electriccanadian.com/lifestyle/magazine/canadamonthly15westuoft.pdf,
    from June 14, either 1913 or 1915........
    and the image I copied that refers to HOBBS GOLD MEDAL Carvers & Hardware is on Page 70, but I also copied the image.....don't know if it's of any help to you at all though......I wasn't sure about posting a .PDF file on here.......(but I LOVE the old ADS!!!) AND am just seeing that @Roaring20s found better than I did!!:singing::singing:

HOBBS GOLD MEDAL.jpg

judy and Ghopper1924 like this.
  7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree, mission buffet. The 1916 date on the mirror is probably spot-on for production date or shortly thereafter. Wood is oak. Is the one drawer a replacement?

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  8. Tammie

Tammie New Member

No, my grandfather had started to restore it before he passed and that is the wood under all of that God awful shellac/stain....

Thank you to all for the information so far... I know it was cherished in my grandfathers family but he was the baby so all the stories etc are gone.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted