Featured Show and tell my latest finds

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Dessert58, Mar 15, 2024.

1. Dessert58

Dessert58 Well-Known Member

IMG_5867.jpeg IMG_5868.jpeg IMG_5869.jpeg IMG_5870.jpeg IMG_5871.jpeg IMG_5872.jpeg IMG_5873.jpeg IMG_5874.jpeg IMG_5875.jpeg So, these are my latest finds from the last few weeks.
    Nothing amazing spectacular, but still nice and shiny bling.
    The leather box arrived today from Italy and I got it for a steal!
    I love old boxes...this one even had a few coral pearls in it when I opened it! Fun!
    The Georgian paste button/pendant also arrived today.
    What can I say? If I buy one, I buy many...I cant help myself
    I love the fact this one is a decent size and I can wear it all day long as a pendant.
    Didn't pay much for it, again.
    The apricot pit monkey (a baboon maybe?) is so cute! This technique is called Heidao.
    I believe my monkey, who lost its eyes and a toe, could date from the 19th century and come from China. Although I m not sure about that. I just bought him because he is cute and fun.

The coral brooch arrived last week. It was the most expensive item of them all at 30€ (incl shipping from Italy)
    I believe its coral and base metal and it could date around the 1920s.
    The earrings are fun! They look a bit like saphiret glass.
    They change color from brown to blue. but in fact, the 'glass' is plastic. Love to wear them!
    No idea about age there, these could be brand new.
    The art nouveau brooch is well...art nouveau. I would guess around 1915-ish. 800 silver with lapis lazuli. maybe German?
    And the bracelets where something I found 2 weeks ago. I found 5 of these same tortoise bracelets for a few euro s, so I had to take them home.
    I dont think you can sell tortoise these days, but I don't care. I love wearing them.
    The 'amber' heart, I got it in a lot of jewelry last week. I m not sure about it...my UV lamp gives a weird result. i think its maybe reconstituted amber. Still nice and I love to wear it.
    So, what do you think about my finds?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    bercrystal, KSW, mirana and 7 others like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That silver and lapis brooch is my favorite!

KSW, J Dagger, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dessert58

bakersgma thank you! I think my favorite are the monkey, the button and the heart.
    But I like them all, obviously:cat:

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like the coral brooch. Nicely cluttered.

KSW, Aquitaine, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

(It is called addiction....:bag:)
    So sweet, Dessert.:happy:
    Saphiret plastic?:angelic:
    Yes German. Beautiful, and it couldn't be more Jugendstil if it tried.:playful:
    Are you sure they aren't horn? I have a few like them and mine are horn. I always like them.
    It isn't reconstituted, then you would see bits and pieces. Which colour did you see in the UV light?
    It is probably German too, btw.;)

And I always love those Florentine leather boxes, excellent quality.

6. Dessert58

IMG_5885.jpeg Any Jewelry,
    Thank you very much for your opinion.
    The heart gave a typical amber glow under my UV light, but only parts of it.
    But then again, my UV lamp decided to stop working right then and there, and I haven't been able to make it work again since.
    The bracelets are too thin to be horn.
    I just grabbed whatever I could find for the picture, because I had to get my son from school. So you only see three of the ones I bought and some other ones from my stash. There might indeed be a horn one that slipped into the stash. Well spotted!
    Also a poor one-eyed snake. :hilarious:

7. Dessert58

Oh no! Again German! :hilarious:
    These amber pieces could be made anywhere in the Baltic states though, you have no proof its German! :D

bercrystal and kyratango like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

You love German jewellery, you'd better admit it.:joyful:
    Those older puffy amber hearts are often German.:D
    I have one too, an egg yolk amber heart, that I got as a little girl. It was my first piece of amber jewellery.:happy:

bercrystal, KSW, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  9. Dessert58

Ok, you got me: I don't HATE German jewelry...some of it might even be...nice
    There, I said it!:zombie:
    How nice to have an amber heart from your childhood!
    I have a special place in my heart for hearts :D
    I have been wearing this heart together with one of my Flemish Hearts this week.
    Yes, I often look like a Christmas tree and I m proud of it! :hilarious:

bercrystal, KSW, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Doesn't it feel like a weight has been lifted of your shoulders?:angelic::joyful::kiss:
    And I have always loved it.:happy: Unfortunately it was the start of a lifelong amber addiction.:facepalm::hilarious:
    Yay!!! Join the club!:playful:

11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Great haul Dessert!
    The baboon is charming, I love the bracelets too, and... the coral... and... the button... and... the turtleshell bracelets, and... the jugendstil brooch!!!
    The box is finely made and perfect to keep some of your treasures;)

12. Dessert58

Well thank you kyratango!
    I must say it does look like something if you put them all out like this together :shame:

13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

1st favorite is the Jugendstil brooch.

2nd favorite. The round rhinestone pendant, are you thinking this was a button at one time? It's got some serious bling!

I do think the Saphiret-like earrings are newer, but very wearable.

Didn't know about "Heidao". Thanks for sharing!

KSW, Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I couldn't think of the right monkey species before, but I think it is probably a macaque. Baboons aren't native to China, macaques are. There are macaques with that sort of snout.

15. Dessert58

kyratango, Lucille.b and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The Jugendstil brooch would be top of my list too. The Georgian button-pendant is a close second. it was a good trick adding the bail without damaging the rhinestones.

kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
  17. Dessert58

Evelyb, thank you!
    Yes, indeed amazing they didn't break anything when they made a pendant out of it.
    I let one of my Georgian pendants be transformed into a ring a few months ago...didn't go at all as planned:zombie:
    It worked out fine in the end, but still I m not 100% ok with the end result.
    Its never as easy as it first seems.

Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  18. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Another vote for the Jugendstil brooch. Then the primate carving for me.

Any Jewelry, kyratango and Dessert58 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted