Featured Should I get these older glass ornaments if I can for $10?? (Wire wrapped?)

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Nov 27, 2021.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

No guarantees that I'd be the first to grab these, but they sat unsold for all 3 for $20 during two entire days of a local in person sale. Tomorrow everything is half price. I took a look at them about 30 minutes prior to closing and so expect them to still be there. The sellers had them in kind of an odd place where they may have been slightly overlooked, or maybe they aren't that great of a deal.

I'd be buying for resale so hoping to get thoughts. They are fairly long for an ornament, going to say 10" or so. The wire on the top of each is kind of crude looking, and I'm wondering if they are missing a bit of the thinner wire you see on wire wrapped ornaments. All 3 only have the wire on the top as a way to hang them. They are mostly solid colored with some wear to the finish, but I don't think any are broken in any way.

Here is the pre-estate sale photo from online:

aaaxmas2.jpg
    And a close up from cropping:

aaaxmas3.jpg

When checking Ebay I'm not really seeing any just like this sold that don't seem to have wire on the body, but maybe I'm not using the right keywords. What do you think? I'm a bit inclined to try for them at 3 for $10 if they are still there.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    judy, KSW, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  2. LauraGarnet02

LauraGarnet02 Well-Known Member

3. Lucille.b

Thanks, Laura. :) Do you think they would have had wire on the body originally? The ones you found look like the ones at the sale though, similar with no wire on the body. Just curious if these two groups are missing that part possibly, or maybe perfectly correct?? Thank you!

judy, KSW, Bronwen and 1 other person like this.
  4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Hi this is not what you asked, but if the 2 tree toppers in the boxes in the back are still there, they might be worth reselling.
    I don't know about the one you mentioned.
    Hope you get it.

judy, KSW, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  5. LauraGarnet02

I am supposing the three that you are looking at were originally wrapped similar to this one. (Picture from Pinterest)
    7949bd309590100cc0f890e8226157d9.jpg

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 6 others like this.
  6. LauraGarnet02

These wire wrapped glass ornaments are all new to me too, so I'm learning right along with you!

7. Lucille.b

Pearls, anything good in this photo is long gone. (Some of it in my house now! :cool:) Tomorrow is day 3 of the sale. (So far I've gone every day... curing my in-person estate sale withdrawals temporarily...) They took the photo with the wire wrapped ornaments for the online ad, but then they pulled those 3 aside and had them up by the cash register in a bag but kind of behind it in a way on a shelf hard to see, and I only noticed them today when leaving at 2:30pm, with the doors closing at 3pm.

That's a bit what I was wondering. If they might be missing the wire. Hmmm. I wonder if you still find buyers when that part is missing....

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  8. LauraGarnet02

When I put the ornament picture from Pinterest into the Lens image search program on my phone all I get are carrots and turnips, LOL. Would somebody mind popping it into Google Images?

judy, kyratango, KSW and 2 others like this.
  9. LauraGarnet02

Any Jewelry, judy, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  10. LauraGarnet02

@Lucille.b , I hope you can find some in ebay completed auctions now, to see whether they are worth $10 to try and resell "as is".

11. pearlsnblume

12. Lucille.b

Thanks for all the research, Laura. I just jumped over to Ebay to check, and I'm not really finding too many sold (either with wire or without). I'm going to do a bit more poking around.

Thanks!

13. LauraGarnet02

Oh, that Etsy seller says in the description, according to antique ornaments books this shape is called "folded umbrellas". 8 inches long, I had no idea of the size!

14. Lucille.b

Starting to see a few sold, not too impressive. I tried Ebay searching "glass umbrella ornament antique" (leaving the word "wire" out) and got several more matches. Here is one that sold for $7.50. I'm taking a short dinner break, but I'm going to look more up and make a decision. If I could sell 3 for $40, it would be worth it, but spending $10... not sure anything less makes sense.

Thank you for helping me to figure this out! :)

aaaumbr1.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1442868082...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

15. LauraGarnet02

16. LauraGarnet02

Just learned a new key word for the wire wrap in case anyone ever needs it. Krinkle Wire.

judy, kyratango, KSW and 4 others like this.
  17. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Sounds like that name was invented by someone desperately looking for a search term to list their item and it stuck!

18. Lucille.b

KSW, too funny! :joyful: You are probably correct!!

Follow up is that I did get them. I already have them listed, trying for $60 or best offer for the set of 3.

OR88.jpg

19. pearlsnblume

On pretty Lucille. I think some might call those tear drop BWDIK

20. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

They are beautiful! Fingers crossed they sell well for you :)

Draft saved Draft deleted