Short Sword Identification

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by Ranger Rick, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Ranger Rick

Ranger Rick Well-Known Member

This thing is about 25 inches long, no markings I can find, and the symbol looks musical? Any ideas on this one? Short-Sword1.jpg Short-Sword2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could also be a large dagger..........;)

casting looks a bit rough....

3. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

It looks very theatrical to me. it is not like any sword of this type that have seen before. Quite what the motive is on the quillon I am not sure, it looks more like a syphon than a post horn to me.
    My guess would be probably a theatrical piece.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

"Is this a dagger which I see before me...."

komokwa likes this.
  5. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

How sharp is it? If it's theatrical, it won't be very!

(I hope, anyway)

komokwa likes this.
  6. Ranger Rick

Somewhat sharp, may be a bit more like 30 inches, looks like a real aged sword. I have seen other brass handles similar style.

Somewhat sharp, may be a bit more like 30 inches, looks like a real aged sword. I have seen other brass handles similar style.

Better photo of whole Sword
    s4.jpg

Attached Files:

• s3.jpg
      s3.jpg
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2023
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

That looks more like a real weapon. The symbol on the pommel looks like an army ordnance symbol.

The text below seems to be from a Romance language, maybe Spanish or Italian:

s3.jpg

8. Ranger Rick

The sword handle with the writing is a different sword. Just similar style. The grey background photo is the actual sword.

9. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

It was not unusual for theatrical armourers to use genuine blades, as these were usually plentiful, and far easier and cheaper than making new ones, even if one had the skills to make new blades, and many genuine ones are indeed still sharp. There are swords for wearing, and other swords for fighting with. Swords that were simply to be worn are /were quite often genuine and thus quite often still sharp.
    Where I was apprenticed, and where I worked later in a large theatre, we had boxes and boxes of original old sword and gun parts and blades etc. too.
    The quality of the item in the original post seems far inferior to that shown in the later post IMHO.
    For the record, the sword shown by Ranger Rick is a Spanish Artillery hanger of the late 1870's, and undoubtedly genuine.

silverbell, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Oh, OK, so no ordnance and no Romance language on yours. (But at least I was right about the Romance language on the other one.)

the blacksmith and komokwa like this.
  11. komokwa

without those writings.....& the poor quality fit and finish..... your sword is not a military weapon.
    maybe fraternal?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. komokwa

13. Any Jewelry

Maybe a variation, on a later date when they replaced the trefoils with simple knobs?

komokwa likes this.
  14. komokwa

maybe...?
    but military swords have markings that don't seem to be present here...:wideyed::wideyed::wacky:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  15. Ranger Rick

Well, it looks like we are getting closer. I don't think it was a stage prop. A band sword sounds right to me. Just need to figure from where?

Draft saved Draft deleted