Featured Shiwan Pottery

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by georgeingraham, Oct 30, 2020.

1. georgeingraham

georgeingraham Active Member

Been a long time since have shared anything with the forum..

Sharing this 9 1/4" tall celadon glazed shiwan figure who I believe is Cao Guojiu, one of the Eight Immortals of Taoism. Dressed in traditional Tang dynasty robe and futuo or turban. I am unsure what he is holding (sword?). The facial skin color seems a flat glaze or painted as compared to the different celadon glazed hues of crackled green, browns and black making up the rest of the figure. He is missing what I am guessing was a hulu vase and part of the hair on his left side has been damaged.

The body was made and joined together in two halves. There was an auction a few months ago with the most similar piece I have been able to find online, but not dated. https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/83896764_a-shiwan-yao-figure-shape-porcelain-statue

A friend of mine just shared a piece with me tonight that he use to own and dated it at 19th.. https://i.imgur.com/qegb9hy.jpg

A very friendly looking fellow !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

4. georgeingraham

Big thank you Any ! Very cool, and now I know.. Really excellent !

I question if that 17th to 18th is correct.. I think the auction house is mistaken.. I am still trying to confirm a date.. Leaning more towards what my friend suggested at 19th..

Big thank you Any !

5. Any Jewelry

Frankly, so do I, but I must confess, Shiwan is not my forte. Beautiful though.

6. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Which is of course, nonsense.

Bronwen and judy like this.
  7. georgeingraham

Would like to ask if there is enough viewable of this token to exactly identify it, and or translate what is on it. I do not have it in hand yet, this is the best for pics until it arrives..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Any Jewelry

The token is a Chinese cash coin. The text usually indicates the period of the coin (not of the figurine). The giant coin means the figurine is connected with wealth and good fortune.

moreotherstuff, Bronwen, judy and 2 others like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

10. georgeingraham

Thank you again Any..

I saw that one calgarycoin.com site before, just could not find this specific token. I get that it would not help in dating the figure, was just curious what it might say. That points me in the right direction Any.. Thanks again !

I did just find this http://primaltrek.com/guide.html so will start there..

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. georgeingraham

Here are some good pics and additional info of the Shiwan figure for one of the two He-He Er Xian brothers. 9 1/4" tall, crackled green celadon and brown glazes. Best guess is early 20th century.

He-He Er Xian, translates as the Immortals of Harmony and Union, the two Gods of Harmony and Union, and are Taoist immortals.

A cash coin with a legend that if I understand correctly, reads from top, bottom, right and left, 丁財貴壽 , Ding Cai Gui Shou. The top and bottom characters refer to the period title and tells which reign the coin was minted. So Ding reign, Zhou dynasty.

The first piece shared last week I felt ok with dating late 19th early 20th. This one has "China" stamped inside. I can not find any reference that tells when potters first started stamping stoneware pieces. So to give the benefit of doubt, for now until I learn more am leaning towards early 20th rather than including the possibly being late 19th.. I just don't know for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Any Jewelry

He is charming, George, thank you for showing us. And I must say, those photos are excellent!

Bronwen and georgeingraham like this.
  13. Primaltrek

Primaltrek New Member

The coin is actually a Chinese charm discussed here.

Bronwen and georgeingraham like this.
  14. georgeingraham

Guess I can share another piece that came last week..

This 7 1/2" tall "gongzai" Monk looks more like a child than adult. The blue, Jun type glaze scarf is quite unusual. Looks like something a child might wear and is impressed with what looks like scrolling cloud or silk worm symbols. Holding a matching colored bag or satchel and a fan in the other hand.

Made from an unrefined course Shiwan clay with something heavily mixed in that I am pretty sure is salt. Cream colored crackled porcelain, thickly applied for the robe and fan. It was first formed from a single flat piece of clay that was folded over and then tucked under the base before sculpting. Potters mark is incised on the exterior.

Dated to about 1890. Enjoy !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted