ship porthole Anyone Can you identify??

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by LUANA SU TEDESCO-DUNBAR, Jul 2, 2018.

1. can anyone identify??

IMG_3056.JPG

IMG_3059.JPG

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

any numbers or marks on it ?

Christmasjoy and aaroncab like this.
  3. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Unless you have the provenance on it, it’ll always be a nice ship’s porthole and that’s about it. I think you’d have to find a naval architect to tell you when in 20th C. it was made and in general what kinds of ships it might have been used in (cargo/passenger/naval whatever.). All I know for sure is that it was used in steel-hulled, engine-powered ships.

4. Is it brass? It’s so heavy

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. komokwa

sure it's brass.........no rust !

Fid and Christmasjoy like this.
  6. springfld.arsenal

Yeah, my teachers always said “Don’t be so technical.” But I couldn’t help it.

It could be bronze, but I have no idea just by looking. When you corner that naval architect, ask him/her.

aaroncab likes this.
  7. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Bronze is to soft for a Port Hole. It looks like Red Brass.

Fid likes this.
  8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

In my opinion it is bronze. I have removed similar portholes from small ships being scrapped and they were always bronze.
    You could get away with brass for inland waterway craft but salt water is not good with brass and this port was intended for a ship at sea. Inland waterways do not need such robust clamps. That port could be well pounded before breaking open.

Tanya likes this.
  9. komokwa

ok..so it's either bronze or brass.......:wacky::wacky:

10. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Bronze is softer than Brass and the metal would look redder. Therefore it would disintegrate faster. That Porthole is Brass. You have White Brass [Hardest], Yellow Brass, Red Brass, Bronze and then Copper. In that order. Hardest to softest.

komokwa likes this.
  11. komokwa

y'see how easily I can be swayed to back off my position with a convincing argument !!

Not one of my best qualities...........................................:(:(:inpain:

12. springfld.arsenal

Where did u get that information? “The Internet” I suppose?

In any case, bronze is used where a nonferrous metal is needed, usually for corrosion resistance, and where high tensile strength is also needed. Most bronze types have higher strength than all brass types. But common names can be confusing, if you want to get technical use the particular alloy’s constituents and percentages of each. For example, gunmetal bronze was normally 90% copper and 10% tin. That alloy was both hard and strong, so was used for cannon barrels for centuries.

all_fakes likes this.
  13. Scott gilchrist

Scott gilchrist New Member

I've got one. Looks just like it. Same size. Mines missing a pin. The guy I got it from says it's from a ship called the fuji... I've been looking for 3 days now. Supposedly built in 1952 and sold in 1958 then disassembled.

Draft saved Draft deleted