Sherbert spoon

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Chinoiserie, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I grabbed this yesterday. Google says it is a sherbert spoon, but if I Google sherbert spoon I get lots of images of ice cream. So is a sherbert spoon an ice-cream scoop? The handle looks as if it has some utility too and could double as a knife. So it's like a Swiss army knife for puddings. It's about 25cm long and jin ferrous. The writing on the handle is Persian I think.

IMG20231119231813_copy_985x1314.jpg IMG20231119231817_copy_994x1326.jpg IMG20231119231828_copy_1143x1524.jpg IMG20231119231834_copy_1152x1537.jpg

wlwhittier and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

First of all it's sherbet not sherbert. With the arabic inscription i can't really say what it's supposed to be.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Thanks for correction. So I've found out that sherbet is a frozen dessert in USA. In the UK it generally refers to a sweetened powder used as a confectionary item. It is making sense now. As for the Arabic, I am as clueless as Google, because it is not giving great translations.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like a sugar spoon for their ridiculously bitter coffee!!!!;)

johnnycb09 and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. Chinoiserie

Another definition of sherbet

1. a traditional Middle Eastern drink made of sweetened fruit juice diluted with water and ice.
    Can't see where a mahoosive spoon would be used in this

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

A new word fer mee...we (USA) use humongous.

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

It's not as broadly adopted as humungous. It's a bit of a jokey word and I dont even think it has been adopted as official slang.

wlwhittier likes this.
  8. Kate Q

Kate Q Active Member

The script is a name, it kinda looks cut off to me: “[by] order of Hajji Sheikh Muhammad”. The first word is Urdu/Farsi, not Arabic. Both hajji and sheikh can be honorifics, you would expect more of a name than just Muhammad, like maybe this was upcycled, cut from a larger piece to make a handle. But maybe not and that’s it for the name.

9. Chinoiserie

Thanks Kate. Very informative

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.