Shell button questions

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Dwd, Jan 20, 2024.

1. Dwd

Dwd New Member

I have some NOS shell buttons on cards (see pics). I'm guessing 50's or 60's vintage. Back of card says in business for 95+ years. Front of card says 70 cents. How old? Can I get more than 70 cents for them?

2nd pic shows possibly dyed buttons. (I'm very new at this.) Probably more than one material, but they don't sound or feel like plastic. Can you tell from pic what they might be made of? (If I can't attach 2 pics I'll attach to a reply.) IMG_20240120_084824957.jpg IMG_20240120_084244464.jpg

judy likes this.
  2. acvintage

acvintage Member

Did a quick search for vintage "La Mode abalone shell buttons" and found ones similar to yours, with prices, age, etc. I have a bunch of buttons I also have to research. Always better when still on their original cards.

komokwa and judy like this.
  3. acvintage

acvintage Member

If you sign in to Ebay and do a search, then click on the sold items for that search you'll get an idea of sold prices plus maybe some dating info. You can also check on Etsy and other online sites for pricing once you know what you're looking for. If you do a search for just "abalone shell buttons" you'll get an even wider response with pricing to help with your research.

I'm not at all experienced in buttons so can't tell regarding quality, high end or not, etc.

4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Quite common. Often found in button lots at garage/yard/estate sales. Buttons have gone up and I shop JoAnne's, so button lots are the way to go for the most part. Depending on what one is sewing, a retail purchase might be the only way to go.

komokwa likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Zip code om the address (first card) makes it 60s.

wlwhittier, Debora and judy like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

1963 or later to be precise.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"... One of the nation's largest button importers and packagers..." Who knew? (Rhetorical.)

Debora

img.jpeg

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So according to the above, the B. Blumenthal corporate offices moved from the Garment District to New Jersey at the beginning of 1972. That dates your buttons to (roughly) a 1963 - 1971 window.

Debora

9. Dwd

Dwd New Member

My first guess was that Blumenthal was the owner of La Mode, but that is not necessarily the case. The smaller, 60 cent buttons only have the part number (#3936) on back.

10. Dwd

Dwd New Member

Good tip!

komokwa likes this.
  11. Dwd

Dwd New Member

Etsy is where I started, but didn't see any of these shells, but I didn't use keyword "abalone". I like to use Google images. It coughs up Etsy, eBay, Pinterest, et. al. at the same time.

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

13. Dwd

Dwd New Member

I did some digging: There is a brief history on Pinterest. Blumenthal began in 1877 and created the La Mode line as early as the '20's. In the early years they harvested mollusks, etc. from the Mississippi.

That dates the 70 cent buttons to '72 or later.

Now, about the copper colored ones.......?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

"That dates the 70 cent buttons to '72 or later." Would you please explain? I ask because the company was not located in New York City in 1972; they were located in New Jersey.

Debora

15. Dwd

Dwd New Member

1877 + "more than 95 years" = 1972 or later

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Where does the "more than 95 years" quote come from?

Debora

17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

It's printed on the back of the button card in the photo.

18. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Duh. Thank you!

Debora

bluumz likes this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I doubt that the age of the shell buttons in this case relates to any increase in value.

20. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You're right, of course.

Debora

Draft saved Draft deleted