Sheffield Sterling “B in a Shield” Maker Mark Who Dunnit???

Discussion in 'Silver' started by bennett, Sep 9, 2014.

1. bennett

bennett New Member

This big tray weighs over 55 OZT and is marked with a crown (Sheffield), a Lion facing left (sterling), date letter a (1918) and a maker’s mark B in a shield-shaped reserve.

Anyone know the maker? Been searching for some time now and getting frustrated… If there is no premium for the maker, I may just melt the piece for scrap.

Any help would be appreciated!!! This is my first post! I’ll try to contribute if I’m smart enough…

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      451.2 KB
      Views:
    spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I can't help but the silver people probably can. Welcome to the board.

3. 707susang

707susang Active Member

I checked the usual spots on the web and my books, no luck to "B" for maker. 1918, right?

4. 707susang

707susang Active Member

I now see you said 1918, sorry!

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Hi and welcome! Don't read anything into this, it's really a question for the silver mavens but doesn't that crown look a bit odd or is it just a different stamp?

6. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Not British hallmarks, some kind of pseudo-marks, seem to recall seeing them not too long ago, but my memory fails me - can't even remember if the maker was IDed, or whether silver or electroplate...

~Cheryl

afantiques likes this.
  7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bennett,
    Welcome to the forum. It really is a very nice tray. It would be a shame to lose it to scrappers. I would try listing it first for more money than scrap just to test the waters. Your photography is really wonderful.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  8. DragonflyWink

Proper 1918 Sheffield hallmarks:

1918sheffieldmark.JPG

9. 707susang

707susang Active Member

10. DragonflyWink

Sorry, doesn't look close to me at all - the supposed hallmarks are just completely 'off'. Strikes me as extremely unlikely that the Sheffield Assay Office ever saw this tray...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  11. DragonflyWink

12. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Before the other posts appeared I was near tears thinking that if sterling it would be scrapped. :arghh:

That crown looks familiar too? I think I saw it here not too long ago.

13. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Certainly not British or British made, you'd get banged up in the Tower for marking something like that, clearly meant to deceive.
    Time to get out the acid and a (tiny) file. It's a bit tough if you paid silver price for it and it is not kosher.

14. bennett

bennett New Member

Thanks for the compliment, silver is super-tough to capture! I'm not even sure if the piece is authentic, so I cannot in good conscience list it for sale yet. Thanks again!

15. bennett

bennett New Member

I am 100% open to the very real possibility that it is not authentic, but thought I'd bounce it smarter people first!

16. DragonflyWink

It is definitely not authentic British sterling silver, seldom state anything as fact unless it can be firmly backed up - but believe the mark photographs show clear evidence that your item is not properly marked, and as mentioned, it is not British electroplate either, since the marks are obvious imitations of the 1918 Sheffield silver marks, and no British manufacturer would use them. AF's 'Tower' comment is referring to the strict regulations and stiff penalties in the U.K. regarding hallmarking - if presented at a British assay office, those marks would be summarily defaced.

Have seen this mark at least once before, but just can't remember the circumstances - it may be solid silver, though perhaps not sterling standard, or it may be electroplate. At this point, the only other thing I'd say is that it dates post WWI...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Sep 10, 2014
    afantiques likes this.
  17. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I saw this query over on eBay yesterday. Before replying to say definitely not British hallmarks, I was hoping to ID the maker. After searching my silver references and a multitude of silver mark websites as well as endless google searches with no luck, I came on over here to see that the OP had posted a query with Cheryl (DragonflyWink) replying. If Cheryl doesn't know the maker, I certainly won't be able to ID it. Cheryl is one of the most knowledgeable silver expert on the web. She is one of the moderators on the 925-1000 silver forums, an active participant on the SilverSalon forums, etc... Believe me, if Cheryl is definite on something silver, you can take it to the bank!!!

http://925-1000.com/forum/index.php
    http://www.smpub.com/cgi/ubb/Ultimate.cgi?

--- Susan

18. DragonflyWink

Much appreciated, but undeserved praise, so many more folks with much more knowledge - I'm learning all the time. So little time for myself these days, not a particularly active participant anywhere these days...

Bugs me that I can't remember where I've seen these marks - you're a great researcher, Susan, maybe it will turn up for you yet.

~Cheryl

19. bennett

bennett New Member

Wow, we've got real experts in the house! Well, I think it is pretty much proven that the piece is not real. I just had to get input, and I got it! What a great experience for my first post! Seems like a lot of the EBay community board (when they had one) was often rude, ignorant, or both. Everyone here seems very nice and knowledgeable! Thanks for all your help and input!

elarnia likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted