Sheet metal machine

Discussion in 'Tools' started by springfld.arsenal, Apr 17, 2018.

1. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I get a few mass-emails a week from members of our local machinist’s club where members have used tools to sell. One yesterday offered a 3-function sheet metal machine, a horizontal milling machine, and a “cold saw” for cutting metal from one person. Called and told him I’d take the sheet metal machine offered for $250.00. I got there in about 40 min. Man had his one-car townhouse garage crammed with tools and metal to work on in the future. There was only enough free floor space for maybe 3 people to stand. Said he needed space so wanted to sell the machines-obviously true! Machine looked good only missing top guard and he mentioned the shearing function didn’t work well, but I know I can fix that if desired. It takes sheet metal up to 30” wide and 1/32” thick. He said it will process thicker metal than that. Machine also curls (bends in adjustable radius) and brakes (bends to a sharp corner up to 90 degrees.). I offered $200., paid, and we put it in the truck. New these are $575. Plus shipping for 300 or so lbs., so the $200. was fine with me. Have no use for his other two machines. The rolling stand this was on in his garage wasn’t included but I have many things I can mount it on.

71F832F0-3154-40B7-8770-04C4D6CF4C01.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

I bought and picked up the machine (Grizzly G4011) same day I got the email but I have seen several people email the seller since then asking him about how well it worked, obviously so they could some day decide to buy this Chinese-made “budget” model or something closer to top of the line Pexto brand. In case anyone here is faced with that quandry, I’m posting his reply to all:

“The machine is off to its new home. If I had the room, I would probably have kept it. Its not a PEXTO, but worked well. I have a tendency to “overtax” my tools, and this one was no exception. I used the roller to form a 1.5” by .200” cold rolled ring, and it was a struggle, but do-able. I used the finger brake to fold some 18 gauge (I think) to make some boxes: worked good. I folded some aluminum sheet (thicker stuff): so-so. I didn’t have much luck with the shear (which was the primary reason for buying it), but noticed when I was showing John the machine that the blade was slightly out of alignment. Had I noticed this instead of just cursing the machine; it might have been more useful to me. Wish I had taken the time to tune it up before I abandoned it.
    Overall, I was pretty happy with the machine. Like most Chinee stuff, the knobs, adjusters and fasteners were second rate. The casting was a little rough, but the machine work on the working parts was better than decent. I didn’t use it enough to justify the footprint in my shop, so its gone now. I’ll probably need it tomorrow, but thats life.”

Draft saved Draft deleted