Shaker Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Illielee, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Illielee

Illielee Well-Known Member

any shaker village jumping to mind seeing this? or just general shaker table?
    "Park" inscribed inside drawer if that means anything.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  2. Illielee

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Lillielee - You need to post your pictures directly on Antiquers. Many members will not click on a site they don't know. You've been here long enough that you should know how to post a pic, but perhaps you have forgotten?

James Conrad, Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

@Bookahtoo Do you have a page of pic posting instructions you could pass on to Lillielee?

judy likes this.
  5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

6. Illielee

thanks. not sure why it didn't work. did it the way I've always done. also pics from all my threads are missing now...maybe something with the hosting site.

judy likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Information is spread over two or more threads, which I combined in what I usually post when people have trouble posting.
    Please feel free to use it (no copyrights;)):

Here is info on how to upload pictures, please remember to click on 'full image' when you post:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

Posting images from your phone:

iPhone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/resizing-photos-on-i-phone.35097/

Android phone:https://www.antiquers.com/threads/using-an-android-phone-for-pics-on-antiquers.41709/

8. Illielee

Also screwed up and forgot to post this on the furniture board.

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I’ve moved it.

10. Illielee

11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm, why do you think it's Shaker?
    At first glance, I notice the drawer is not centered in the front & out of proportion, kinda unshaker like isn't it?:confused:

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Illielee

Right. My neighbor built these in the 80s almost exact matches minus the drawer face. sold them as shaker style. also a plan in popular woodworking for shaker side table...very similar. chamfered underside and proportions.

13. James Conrad

Yeah, that is pretty thin to attribute to Shaker and, there should be a Shaker village attached to the Shaker piece as there are differences in how each village constructed their furniture.
    The Shaker furniture built in Enfield NH is different than the Shaker furniture built in Canterbury NH for example. Similar but not the same, if this makes any sense.
    Another thing I notice, the drawer front has a "scratch bead" detail, this is a "decoration" that generally speaking, the Shakers frowned upon. With Shaker, you usually see a straight edge without that extra detail.
    Ditto the dovetails, with Shaker they are "perfect" or nearly so as they took great pride in flawless woodworking skills. When marketing their furniture, Shakers trumpeted their attention to detail and quality in an era when mass-produced furniture was synonymous with shoddy construction.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Bakersgma and judy like this.
  14. James Conrad

To me, you have a mid-19th-century machine-built single drawer stand in the Hepplewhite style.
    Guesses you could say "in the manner of shaker" or "shaker style" but to attribute it to the Shakers you would need a bunch more than you presently have.

mark737, judy and komokwa like this.
  15. James Conrad

Bakersgma, i need help and judy like this.
  16. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I've been to Canterbury and will never forget the fine workmanship nor the items that they made. So simple. Really simple. It's a beauty I haven't forgotten.

One of the dealers in the group shop I was in would come across a few pieces...some he kept, some he sold, and it gave me a chance to see the quality of their workmanship, up close and personal as they say. But, seeing a whole village of such fine pieces is not to be forgotten. I can't say that I would know Shaker for sure by a single piece, but I can pretty much tell what is more than likely not.

i need help and James Conrad like this.
  17. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I purchased a small wooden basket signed by one of the craftsman who lived there at the time.

komokwa, i need help and James Conrad like this.
  18. James Conrad

Indeed, check out those Shaker dovetails above, if not perfect they are pretty damn close!:)
    Has a Shaker Tilter cane seat side chair from Canterbury NH, absolutely positively flawless woodworking, light as a feather, strong as iron.
    How to tell where Shaker chairs were built? the shape of the finials, they were all just a little bit different from one village to the next.
    Pretty to look at, not comfy at all to sit in.:oops:

Shaker Tilter cane seat side chair, Canterbury NH C. 1840

Shaker.jpg

Bakersgma and i need help like this.
  19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I remember my friend had a "tilter", but I forget just what that means?

20. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I just googled.....they are what I thought I had remembered.......but I thought the ability to tilt the chair would be more visible.

Draft saved Draft deleted