Featured Sgt Suarez ready for action!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Carlos Suarez, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Carlos Suarez

Carlos Suarez Member

20200909_000832_resized.jpg IMG_5209(1)(1).jpg 20200903_110934_resized_2.jpg 20200906_202131_resized.jpg 20200906_202138_resized.jpg 20200906_202152_resized.jpg 20200909_000832_resized.jpg IMG_5209(1)(1).jpg 20200903_110934_resized_2.jpg 20200906_202131_resized.jpg 20200906_202138_resized.jpg 20200906_202152_resized.jpg Hello everyone!! So I am a retired Marine and have had quite a journey since! I I had to do something with my idle hands so I began restoring my own home furniture that was older but not old enough. I've since started working on old beat up furniture from the side of the road. However I think that I stumbled across a bedroom set that may be a lot older! I don't know how this works so I was hoping to find some help with this.Thank you for your time!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-9-9_0-43-38.jpeg

Hey Sarge !
    Please go back to your post...hit Edit....and click on FULL IMAGE....to make your thumbnails larger............... Please , Sir !:):):)

3. Carlos Suarez

Carlos Suarez Member

Ok I think I got it this time! Thank you so much!!

4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I think the last time (a long long time ago) I called a sergeant "sir" I copped an earful about the correct way to address ranks.:bag:

Oh...welcome sarge!

charlie cheswick, judy and komokwa like this.
  5. Carlos Suarez

Carlos Suarez Member

All good I've been called worse!

6. komokwa

nuthin left to teach you now !!!:playful:
    ¡Buena suerte! Amigo !;)

judy and Carlos Suarez like this.
  7. komokwa

What,.... In what world would I try to piss off a US Marine Sargent ....??????:eek:

None , would be the correct answer !!!!!:hilarious:

( he'd have me washing the latrine !!! )

charlie cheswick, judy and sabre123 like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Good morning and welcome to the forum, Carlos. It is a lovely piece of furniture. When I was much younger, I did similar restorations to my own furnishings to learn how it's done. I used to try to determine if an older piece was shellacked or varnished, so that I could choose the best new coat of protection for it. Sometimes polyurethane will bubble or fisheye, if there is any residual varnish or shellac left beneath it. Just a heads-up for your projects, if you are not aware. ;)

The piece appears to be physically in good shape. :smug: What does your mirror look like beneath the tape? Is it in good shape or in need of resilvering?

judy and sabre123 like this.
  9. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

judy, Carlos Suarez and antidiem like this.
  10. Carlos Suarez

Carlos Suarez Member

I did add a fresh coat of Shellac to it. The mirror is in fantastic shape! It has one time scratch that is visible when you inspect it closely! Thank you for the input!! Much appreciated!!

judy and komokwa like this.
  11. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Not a furniture guy, but it looks like you did some fine work on it. I do have an unhealthy infatuation with old brass hardware and love those pulls. I have some that are very similar lying around.

Keep checking in for comments by the other furniture ppl. They wander in at all times.

12. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Is there a question? Set is circa 1925. Recently had another question about Sligh and think they went out of business in Grand Rapids in 1932.

13. Carlos Suarez

Carlos Suarez Member

Awesome!! I guess I was looking for whatever details I could. Now I just have to figure out what it's worth!! Thank you for your help! As far as I know(which isn't much) the company was bought by a larger company while keeping the Sligh name. But you know how the internet is. I still don't have 100%faith with technology! Thank you again!!

clutteredcloset49 and judy like this.
  14. verybrad

Value is not too great. Brown furniture is not currently popular and prices are depressed. Not sure what pieces you have but that dresser would sell for under $200.00 at retail in my semi-rural Midwest location. You might do better in or near a big city. Significantly less at auction or other wholesale situation.

15. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

A couple of links for you:

Company History:

http://www.furniturecityhistory.org/company/3822/sligh-charles-r-cosligh-furnit

This above link only speaks to the paper labels. I found a link to a dresser with a metal label similar to yours. The last comment on the post dates this dresser to 1930-1940 as follows:

"This is a Sligh Furniture dresser with attached swing mirror, the dresser in banded and flame mahogany veneers with three drawers, beading, on four turned legs with casters, made in the 1930 to 1940 period with a value of $650." See link below

https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/b5y2x-sligh-dresser-genuine-mahogany-mirror.html

I have a four poster Sligh bed and matching dresser from 1919. I did a lot of research on Sligh pieces, when I bought it. This is not to say I am any kind of expert, far from it. It's just an area of interest of mine.

clutteredcloset49, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  16. Carlos Suarez

Carlos Suarez Member

Thank you so much you are an amazing asset to this group and myself!!

17. Carlos Suarez

Carlos Suarez Member

Amazing thank you!!

KikoBlueEyes and komokwa like this.
  18. verybrad

Not sure what universe that value is in. Nowhere near that in my market.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

I was just giving the whole quote. Different dresser - maybe a different era. Next time I'll leave the amount out, as it could be misleading.

Draft saved Draft deleted