Seth Thomas clock, age?, etc.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tyeldom3, May 25, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Hi all! My first inquiry on this new board. I believe this Seth Thomas clock is referred to as Bee Hive mantle clock. Is it mahogany? I see ranges of prices all over the place, as well as age differences in this style. Can anyone shed some light? I see the # 89 stamped on the movement. There is also a # on the bottom, which is very hard to see (I didn't even know it was there until I took pictures) It looks like 917K?? But again, I can hardly see it.
    I havn't had a clock like this in a while, and I'll have to look up how to wind it and stuff, to see how it works (I'm very forgetful :()
    Af, if you happen to stop by.....hopefully you won't tell me to chuck it in the shed, LOL:jawdrop::cigar::p
    Thanks for your time
    DSCN1504.JPG DSCN1504.JPG DSCN1505.JPG DSCN1514.JPG DSCN1512.JPG DSCN1524.JPG

2. tyeldom3

I'm sorry I don't know why the first picture posted twice....oops.:bag:
    I also forgot the measurements.
    10 3/4" high x 5" deep x 8 1/4" wide.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I'll take a stab at it though I know nothing about clocks. I think its 1920s-30s ? Its really very pretty.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  4. tyeldom3

Thanks johnnycb!:cat: I like it too, and it's in really good condition. I googled, and searched so much to figure out how to wind the clock properly to get it started, but I can't figure out the proper way to turn in the holes. Some say turn the left hole clockwise, and others say counter clockwise, and same for the right side keyhole. I really want to test this clock, but I'm afraid to turn the key the wrong way, and mess it up.:arghh::(:joyful:

5. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. Ladybranch

I also found the following:

"Many Seth Thomas clocks from 1881 to 1918 have a date code stamped in ink on the case back or bottom. Usually, the year is done in reverse, followed by a letter A–L representing the month. For example, April 1897 would appear as 7981 D."

I bet those numbers and letter stamped on the back is the date code. The numbers, should be 4 numbers, would be the year in reverse and if a "K" would be for the 11th month, November. On the following page scroll between 1/2 to 2/3rds of the way down the page to the pic of the Seth Thomas factory "America's oldest clockmaker Since 1813". The above paragraph is below the pic and below the paragraph is a pic of a back of a clock showing the reverse numbers and letter. Do click the picture of the numbers to see it better and to see how it is read.
    http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteReferencePages/SethThomasHistory.html

--- Susan

tyeldom3 likes this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found this Seth Thomas area of a clock history site a few years ago when I purchased a Seth Thomas Adamantine mantel clock: http://clockhistory.com/sethThomas/index.html

It doesn't include your type of clock but does have the information about the date stamps, etc. This is a sales site run by the same person: http://billsclockworks.com/

You might consider asking at either the site Susan linked or one of the sites I linked to get more information about your clock.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. Ladybranch

tyeldom3 likes this.
  9. tyeldom3

Thanks so much Fig and Susan.:smug:
    No, there is no label on it unfortunately. I wish I could see that number better. I can't really see it at all with the naked eye. I can only see it when the camera light takes a picture.
    I really appreciate all the links you gals provided, thanks again for your great help.:cigar::chicken::cat::troll::kiss:

10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I did this one on the clocks board, the only thing I can add is that it is not a proper 'beehive' clock, but a lancet top clock. The beehive was a 19th C US clock style that this one only echoes vaguely.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  11. tyeldom3

Thanks af, you're such a great help.:cat: I posted it on the clock board yesterday, cause I was trying to find you, lol.

12. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Just a hint your kind of clock was usually electrified in the 20s and 30s so yours is older and in wonderful condition. I guessimate 1910-1915.
    greg

tyeldom3 likes this.
  13. tyeldom3

Thanks Greg you are so kind. Someone on the clock board said it is in the 1917 Seth Thomas catalog, listed as "Prospect#17 model".
    So your guesstimate is very close!:cool::rolleyes::):happy::chicken::cigar::kiss:
    The clock doesn't have a single scratch or blemish on the case. I hope I can get it running.

14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Try that hint I send you, it can not possibably hurt it
    greg

15. tyeldom3

I absolutely will do that Greg. I hope to do that in the next couple days. I so much appreciate that.:happy:
    I'll let you know how it goes.

Draft saved Draft deleted