Set Sterling Silver Cocktail Picks Enamel Roosers Norway

Discussion in 'Silver' started by kardinalisimo, Mar 6, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

If not wrong the maker is Bernard Meldahl from Oslo.
    Do you think they are gold plated or it is just patina?
    Thanks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Why are you asking? They are marked for sterling and you have them in hand. Did you try and polish off the "Patina"? I'm guessing....No.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

No doubt they are sterling.
    I don't want to polish them but I guess I can try a little spot. If not wrong, if there is a gold wash that is not always marked.

KingofThings and 707susang like this.
  4. 707susang

707susang Active Member

True, but I doubt this is the case. Common sense.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like gold-plated sterling to me. It was pretty common at one point. If nothing else, the gold prevented corrosion.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. 707susang

707susang Active Member

How can you tell by this photo? The are contemporary Picks. They look tarnished silver to me? If it was a salt cellar and gold washed or gilt, perhaps made in Portugal....I would agree. Not here.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

He's asking because he's not sure & looking for friendly help.
    Not attitude ! :inpain:

8. kardinalisimo

9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Gold plated, or more usually called silver gilt, or vermeil if it is more than a thousandth of an inch thick..

No way of getting tarnish that even.

10. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Af - I have no clue as to whether the subjects are gold, silver, plated or whatever, but...I have to disagree with you about one thing. Back in the days when I used to keep all my silver holloware in a huge corner cupboard, it was kept polished. Usually. Really.

Except one Christmas when I just didn't get around to it... Much to my astonishment, every single piece had developed a lovely gold cast! So instead of spending four hours with the pink stuff, I added in some fir branches and some gold and red Christmas balls. Gorgeous!!!

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Geez! It was and is very common for Scandinavian silver to be silver-gilt, and have little doubt that these sweet little picks are just that (sometimes referred to as gold-washed). Might mention that Bernhard Meldahl, who founded his own firm in 1931, partnered with retailer Hans Myhre in 1943, when Meldahl died in 1950, Myhre took over the business and continued using the 'BM' mark - this set is most likely mid 20th century.

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  12. 707susang

707susang Active Member

Attitude? Got plenty of that. Being wrong? Been there, done that...lot's of times. Begging forgiveness. Assumed OP, from history, has been around enough to know for himself? Slap me silly for being "ignorant" and showing it about gilt Scandinavian Silver. The OP's pics, on my computer, do not show gilt. I made a reactionary judgement of the OP, from years of "What is This"? My mistake and I am truly sorry.

Carry on with your "geez" and shocked emoticons... I will crawl back to my spot in the "Ickie Girls Room". It gets awful lonely in here......HELLO!!!!!

gregsglass likes this.
  13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sue, if you are feeling a need to vent on a public forum, then I will return in kind - I feel shame that I've become someone who no longer defends those unfairly attacked, especially when on a personal level, simply because they are passing online acquaintances, it's due in no small part to the fact that I just have no time for nor inclination toward useless anger. Given the level of unpleasantness you've directed toward others in the past, this is actually very minor vitriol from you - and while the OP does ask a lot of questions (isn't that the purpose here?), he also takes a bit of criticism with good humor. Everyone feels frustration at times and we all have bad days, but wherever your anger is coming from, have no doubt that it has, as I've already told you in private, absolutely nothing to do with me, and will now add, most likely with no one else other than yourself...

~Cheryl

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
Draft saved Draft deleted