Selling 50s/60s furniture UK West Mids

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by halfJobRob, Sep 2, 2024.

1. halfJobRob

halfJobRob New Member

Hi,

I've joines this forum as I have to sell my late Grandfather's 50s/60s furniture.

He has some lovely pieces that I'd keep if I had a bigger house but unfortunately I don't so I need advice on the best places to sell this type of furniture in the UK.

So far I've only listed his Berry sideboard on ebay with little/no interest.
    Am I way off on the starting price?
    Or should I try listing the piece elsewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Rob

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/23571644...It1dKn5TIS&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I would try LocalGumtree or Facebook marketplace so no shipping involved or ask a local Auction House who may have mid century item sales if there would be any interest in the type of things you have.
    G Plan does well especially if pale wood and Italian styles.

3. halfJobRob

halfJobRob New Member

Thanks for the response.
    I've already tried Gumtree and FB, I'll have a look and see if there's an auction house in my area.

Houseful likes this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

I don’t think the melamine is as popular as wooden pieces even though it can look really stylish.

halfJobRob likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I've always considered that the opening bid price and BIN price should be closer to each other , to stimulate bidding...or a quick sale.

& 600 pounds...... I think will chase away folks , rather than get someone to snap it up.........unless it's market value is 1600 pounds...... which it is not.

halfJobRob likes this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I have never seen furniture like that before and i must say,I love it !

halfJobRob likes this.
  7. halfJobRob

halfJobRob New Member

Thanks for the input. I only put a high BIN price because I'd seen the excact same sideboard sold for €750 on a vintage furniture site recently.
    Normally I'm in the habit of setting the BIN price on the low side and end up almost selling too quickly, I'll change the pricing if it doesn't sell. Perhaps remove the BIN price altogether.

komokwa likes this.
  8. halfJobRob

halfJobRob New Member

That's very kind of you to say.
    I'd love to keep it but unfortunately it's a bit big for my small house.

Draft saved Draft deleted