Seeking information on Royal Kent Pattern 8200

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Alek, Jan 7, 2024.

1. Alek

Alek New Member

I was recently gifted a teacup and saucer set that had a Royal Kent Hallmark on the bottom. I searched to learn more about Royal Kent (years of production etc) and the pattern I received online to no avail. It’s listed with a pattern number 8200 but when searching all I find is Queen Anne with the same pattern and number. Does anyone know if Royal Kent and Queen Anne the same or is one a reproduction of the other? The more I search the more intrigued I become… I appreciate any nuggets of info about Royal Kent and the pattern that anyone may have. I tried uploading a photo but it keeps telling me that it’s too large.

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hello, Alek! The max weight for images is 1MB. If you took the picture with your phone, emailing to yourself as Medium size should result in an image you can upload.

3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I do hope you manage to post photos, especially of the mark.
    There was a Royal Kent (Poland) and a Royal Kent (Staffordshire, England), both 20th century. I've read that the English Royal Kent was bought out by Royal Doulton in the 1970s.
    Everything I've seen of the English RK seems to be 1950s-70s. They appear to have been short-lived but prolific. There's a lot of their stuff available on the secondary market.
    If you're looking for a pattern name, many many (if not most) never had a name.
    Unfortunately, neither types of Royal Kent are particularly sought after in the collectible community and would have modest value, if any. They were "affordable" middle-class items even when new.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    Alek and Bakersgma like this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Re: your question about a possible association with the Queen Anne company...
    It has happened that different companies sold virtually the same ware under their own name. For example, I have several early 19th century New Hall cups and saucers in the Yellow Shell pattern which are virtually identical to those produced by Minton, Machin, and a few others.
    What I can find of Queen Anne, whose stuff is in the same class as Royal Kent, it seems unlikely that the two companies were connected. Per chinasearch:
    "Queen Anne was a brand name introduced in the late 1940s by Shore & Coggins where they produced bone china at their Edensor Works until 1966. The Queen Anne brand name then became part of the Ridgway Potteries group and was used by them for bone china through the 1980s."
    However, there were large pottery groups, each with control of several subsidiaries, and smaller companies often seemed to get passed around repeatedly so... who knows?

EDIT: I have found that in 1964 the Pearson Group purchased Thomas C. Wild & Sons. (Wild had bought Shore & Coggins, mentioned above, in 1918.) In 1971 the Pearson Group also purchased Doulton... remember, Doulton is said to have purchased Royal Kent sometime in the 1970s... so there is a tangled connection.
    Source: http://www.thepotteries.org/allpotters/19c.htm

I love English pottery and china and enjoyed my dive into this part of its history!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2024
    sassafras, Alek and kentworld like this.
  5. Alek

Alek New Member

6. Alek

Alek New Member

Thanks for the tip! That worked perfectly!!

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Alek

Alek New Member

Thanks for the in depth information! I couldn’t find anything except for Queen Anne when searching the pattern number listed on the bottom of the cup so it just intrigued me to learn more and it seemed the more I searched the further away I became from finding any answers. You obviously know your stuff! :)

bluumz and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's why folks like u , come here !! .;)
    & leave pleasantly surprised !!:playful::playful:

bluumz likes this.
  9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Thanks for the photos, I see that is the English Royal Kent, of course, not the Polish. It does appear to be later in production, so I suppose 1970s.
    Frankly, I would've thought even newer if research didn't indicate that Royal Kent was done by the 70s.

komokwa and kentworld like this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

By the '70s the popularity of fussy floral tea cups was pretty much done. Although, I like the name "Royal Kent" as Kent is my surname! I have some Queen Anne cups and saucers that were given to me when I was married (1980!) and they are plain white with a dark caramel brown stripe around the rim. No fussy flowers.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted