Featured Secessionist or slightly weird Victorian vase??

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Miscstuff, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Decided this vase was weird enough to be worth a twenty dollar bid at a local auction and everyone else decided it was too weird to bother bidding on so it went home with me. Did the usual mark search and came up with Ernst Wahliss, Turn-Teplitz, Bohemia, Austria and a date sometime around 1910. Did a search for “Ernst Wahliss secessionist vase” and found a plain Jane Victorian “crap green” one and thought I had one of those amateur painted jobs but the green one has divots where the moriage style gold flower stigma were so somebody has scraped them off and re-painted it. They really liked this crap green in those days. The background is transfer printed and the main flowers and gold stigma are hand done. Ernst kicked the bucket in 1900 and shortly after that his sons bought several hundred old molds from the Vienna porcelain factory so it may be an old secessionist vase that has been re-purposed with an applied floral decoration.

Data – 36cm High, 16.4cm Wide, 0.77Kg

Thoughts???

Cheers
    Stephen

1s.jpg 2s.jpg 3s.jpg 4s.jpg similar vase-with divots.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well that's funky cool !!!!

Miscstuff, judy, Ghopper1924 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Your knowledge is great, Steve, certainly greater than mine. I can only say: Looks like a good deal for $20!

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice find! … and certainly a good buy for $20.00

I don't think so. Probably original and just a different variation on the same mold. Not plain-Jane Victorian but, rather, a more arts and crafts decorating motif. Some (including me) might prefer this over the floral. Both could have been in production at the same time.

5. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Think you are right as the "divots / dimples" would accurately locate the tiny drops of gold paint for the stigma and also keep them almost identical in size. Good thinking verybrad.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Ooo, I like it! It's hard to believe that nobody else bid on it. Lucky you!

judy likes this.
  7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Pretty, pretty, pretty!! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted