Featured Searching for more info on C. Jackson painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by ksminsf, May 18, 2017.

1. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

First, who is this C. Jackson? I suspect that this is a particularly unknown artist, but I bought this painting specifically because I love dogwood and there aren't any in San Francisco!

The canvas itself is 19"x19" and it doesn't appear dirty so the dogwood is actual color. Zero luster so it may be acrylic. IMG_20170518_151840.jpg

Any and all feedback welcome :smug:

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

For a minute there I was sure it was a shadow box - 3-dimensional and not a painting. That's awfully good!

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

What Bakersgma said...................

4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

5. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

Hi Say-it-Slowly. Honestly, this painting looks older than this Robert C. Jackson, and the style seems dissimilar. Google offers little beyond Robert C. Jackson, however, so I've had many opportunities to compare and contrast the works. Thanks for the suggestion tho! The balloon doggie is super cute tho, no? :)

Christmasjoy and Joshua Brown like this.
  6. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

What Bakersgma said ... extraordinary depth. Would the "sacking" frame date it to the 50s?

7. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

CheersDears- it sure could be! Forgot to post some additional information: This was framed at Flax in Los Angeles, which was their first location...and it opened in 1950! The sacking looks almost identical to the linen this is painted on, which is just a slightly tighter weave with a bit more character and nearly the same color. I've searched for every version of C. Jackson on the west coast- but since the dogwood isn't indigenous to these parts, I lost steam. I wondered if this wasn't older, perhaps brought over from Europe after the war but not framed until later (50s per your suggestion). A major long shot, I know. When I look at her I see Eastern European folk painting, but does this say mid-century Americana to the rest of you? I am confident I've been barking up the wrong dogwood tree, which is why I've yet to discover much more.

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I get a 40s vibe,shes perfectly charming and Id have bought her!

Christmasjoy likes this.
  9. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

I've since concluded that the painting is of a USSR stockinette doll tea cozy. Could not for the life of me nail down the specific region of Russia her particular costume hails from, given the textile of her black dress or the pattern on her scarf, but I was certain this was a painting of a doll, not a person and it seems I may have been correct. I may not find more info, but the search has been fun!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  10. architrave

architrave Well-Known Member

ksminsf likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Love the painting......

Here is a picture of my Russian tea cozy......I had put him away and just had to dig him out when I saw your picture.......I had forgotten just how charming he is.

I think he'll be displayed once more.:cat:

rteacozy.jpg

12. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

Oh Judy! I love him! I had such fun once I discovered these were a 'thing'. It'll be a fun conversation piece, I'm sure!

judy likes this.
  13. ksminsf

ksminsf Member

Thanks for the great lead, Architrave! I'll check this out. She's very talented, even if this isn't the same artist...wow!

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted