Searched high and low for a Japanese chop mark containing a horse

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Elizabeth Brushia, Nov 19, 2023.

1. I bought this trinket box at a garage sale, it has a lot of crazing and is heavier, I assume it’s quite old. I read about an era using animals in amusing script.. can anybody identify this? IMG_5544.jpeg IMG_5541.jpeg

Attached Files:

Figtree3 and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's the base look like ?

3. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert at all but when I see Asian porcelain like this with heavy crazing and stains on the unglazed edges I've been told it points to a newer item.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Your box is most probably Chinese, and not particularly old. Chinese artisans are very skilled at making items that look old, as they are more popular with western buyers.

Your box may have been made to mark the "year of the horse", one of the named years in the 12 year cycle of the traditional Chinese zodiac. (The most recent were 1966, 1978, 1190, 2002, 2014.)

A rough google translation of some of the interior text seems to be phrases for happiness, prosperity and such.

Figtree3, kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. I’m so glad to find a group with this much knowledge of Asian porcelain, I have quite a large amount and I chose to post this do to the condition, I learned a great deal already, the craftsmanship is obviously part of what’s desired by so many. Thank you for this bit of knowledge

Figtree3, 2manybooks and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted