Scrimshaw? pendant necklace

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by 916Bulldogs123, Feb 29, 2020.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I was driving home from the store and one of these Gypsy sales was on the side of the road. Elderly couple with a beat up truck. I stopped and looked through piles of tangled together items she said was her moms. this she wanted $20 but i got her down to 10. The story I was told her Mom bought it in Hawaii in 1960 something.
    The bone pendant is 2 1/4" long with I think Sterling surrounding the scrimshaw. I think the beads are shells of course, but the other things I'm not so sure. MOP?

Mikey

atree 23232.jpg
    atree 23233.jpg
    atree 23235.jpg
    atree 23236.jpg
    atree 23237.jpg
    atree 23240.jpg

Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  2. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The "bone" is some type of antler.

3. 916Bulldogs123

My thoughts exactly. Thanks Holly.

4. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

[​IMG]
    Scrimshaw Antler

KSW likes this.
  5. 916Bulldogs123

Ok scrimshaw antler slice

KSW likes this.
  6. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Not sure what the shells are, think they were meant to look like Puka shells. Which they are not.
    The other does look like MOP.

KSW likes this.
  7. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

The disc-like shells are called heishi beads, and they are made of clam shells.
    There is a long tradition of scrimshanding in Maui, because there were whaling ports there in the 19th century.
    So the Hawaii origin story could be accurate.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
  8. stracci

9. 916Bulldogs123

Thank you staci. I'm being told the red beads are coral but I'm not sure.
    Mikey. @Any Jewelry your thoughts would be appreciated.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Mikey, they look like red glass tile beads to me. Maybe you could post a close up, just to be sure?

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The main pendant is antler, as others have said. But it looks like the scrimshaw part is a different material inset into the antler. It is not clear what that material might be.

all_fakes likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's what I thought. It looks like bone, but some ivory can have those lines as well. In which case they are natural cracks rather than tiny blood vessels.

13. 916Bulldogs123

Here is close up of beads and the catch i forgot to show before
    A.JPG
    AAS.JPG
    atree 23246.jpg

14. 916Bulldogs123

I thought it was all one piece. some of the cracks show on both sides of the silver?
    Mikey
    AA.JPG

15. stracci

The metal beads and clasp are not sterling. The steely color of the beads is all wrong for sterling. This type of clasp is seen a lot in Native American jewelry. The stringing material is tiger tail, a twisted metal wire covered with plastic. And finished with a modern crimp bead. The clasp of any piece holds many clues!
    I think those red beads are indeed red coral. Common in Native pieces, not common in Hawaiian jewelry.
    I'm starting to think this piece is Native American, made in the 70s-80s by a craftsman and incorporating a piece of scrimshaw. The heishi beads are a Native design element, too.
    The scrimshaw could be from Hawaii, as the story goes, or its an amateurish try by the necklace maker.

16. 916Bulldogs123

I didn't think anything was silver except for the frame around the scrimshaw. Thanks for the identification of the wire and beads.

stracci likes this.
  17. stracci

It's interesting and totally worth the $10 bucks. It looks vintage 70s-early 80s to me, based on the condition of the bone.

18. 916Bulldogs123

So her 1960's story could be late 60's then.

19. stracci

I think so! It has a kind of hippie vibe.
    I'm not sure when they started making tiger tail though. Earlier native pieces would be strung on fine waxed cord.

DragonflyWink likes this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Can't recall seeing anything quite like the pendant, with a scrimshaw set into the staghorn slice and silver-mounted (believe the inset may be a lighter, even toned piece of antler) - personally, without some firmly attributed or signed pieces of similar form, wouldn't want to call it NA at all, especially since I can remember buying or seeing all of the other materials in bead shops here in Florida in the mid '70s (feel sure they were available all over the country...)

~Cheryl

Any Jewelry and stracci like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted