Scrimshaw Carved "The Knight" France crest Hallmark

Discussion in 'Art' started by ZeeFinds, Sep 14, 2023.

1. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

What is this, tooth, bone, antler, ivory? About 4 inches long and 3/8th diameter, it has some loss to the top crown motif and the end.
    "The Knight" and a crest with "France" Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 11.29.02 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 11.29.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 11.30.17 PM.png underneath

2. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

:pompous:

Attached Files:

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a bone handle of some sort.......

4. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

A handle is likely. I just want to find out what it belongs to? A knife, a letter opener, fancy caviar spoon, tools of this nature, etc. I also thought of writing and chess as first impressions.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  5. komokwa

maybe letter opener.......I'm not sure how deep that hole is....or what kind of stress is could bear...

maybe a nail file from a gentleman's grooming set...... perhaps..

6. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

A shaver. You would call a fancy shaver for a Man's face The Knight and Made in France. I don't know if that's the final answer but it feels right.

It would also be a nice touch on an authentic Halloween costume for Dracula or Werewolf.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
    komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

or the handle for a dipping pen !!!

ZeeFinds likes this.
  8. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

What does the pointed end look like? It may be an antler tine, rather than bone.

A bone of that approximate shape would be hollow for most of its length. An antler tine would have a more solid interior (beyond the hole we can see). You might be able to use a probe of some sort to check. An antler tine would also have a solid, smooth surface at the pointed end.

9. ZeeFinds

ZeeFinds Active Member

It looks like just the top part is hollowed, while the remaining length is solid. My guesses for the material are bone, antler, or tusk?

Draft saved Draft deleted