School Chair/Desk

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Kronos, Jun 1, 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Hi. I picked up this school desk and chair with an interesting adjustable base. The only markings are Pat Appl'd For and a few part numbers. It probably doesn't really matter, but I was hoping someone might know what company made them. I would think they are 1890's or so. Thanks for looking.

dsk.jpg dsk2.jpg dsk3.jpg dsk4.jpg dsk5.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I think probably more like 1910-20. The ones from the 18oos generally have metal sides and are more on feet than pedestals.

Like this, though not always this ornate.

[​IMG]

3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

I found an article in a book from 1895 talking about new types of adjustable desk/chair units where they are separate pieces, some with similar style bases as mine. It seems the trend for adjustability started in 1884. Mine probably is 20th Century though I suppose.

4. verybrad

I suppose that it is possible to be that early but probably not in widespread use. If you could identify a school district where such units were installed, it would make it more likely. Designs evolve but assimilation into general usage comes slowly.

5. pentiques

pentiques New Member

I agree probably 1900 to 1920, but they stayed in use long after that. We still had those in my school in the 1950s.

6. verybrad

Yeah, I went to a school in the 60s where we still had 19th century desks like the ones I posted above. I had just come from a brand new modern school from another district and had really thought I had taken a step backwards ... LOL! Today, I am glad for the experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted