Scholar Desk Painting Translation Help

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mario, May 31, 2020.

1. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Could somebody translate what is on the written scrolls in the painting? and also some help with the signature? It measures 24-1/2"H x 20"W and seems to be in a numbered series as there is #thirtysomething written by year of 2001. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thx.. scholara.jpg scholarb.jpg scholara.jpg scholarb.jpg scholarc.jpg scholard.jpg scholare.jpg scholarf.jpg

Firemandk likes this.
  2. Robert Walker

Robert Walker Love to learn...

Hi Mario. I can't offer much help, but have got a tip for you. What I would try is the 'google translate app' It has the option 'camera'. You then just aim the phone at the text -it will most likely 'auto-detect' the language and give you an onscreen translation. (which you can save.) Try it- really works. All the best, Robert.

3. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

It's Mandarin: Happy New Year! May The Dragon Be Your Courage, The Snake Your Protection, The Horse Your Speed, The Sheep Your Warmth, The Monkey Your Joy, The Pig Your Luck, The Tiger Your Playmate, The Rat Your Wealth, The Ox Your Strength, The Dog Your Trust, The Rabbit Your Escape, and The Rooster Your Confidence! Freely translated, not authorized by Beij--. Not quoted in actual order of appearance in the Chinese Zodiac.

aaroncab likes this.
  4. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

Is the one I thought was a signature not one? which is the last picture. Thx.

5. lizjewel

lizjewel Well-Known Member

The last two letters could be Man with Running Dog. In Chinese of course.:phantom:

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

7. Siblye

Siblye Active Member

Signature is 大力 maybe check out Zhang Dali (张大力)?

8. Couch Potato Wannabe

Couch Potato Wannabe Well-Known Member

Left Scroll
    光风嘉月四时春

Top 4 Characters
    guāng fēng yuè (Trad.: 光風霽月) lit. light breeze and clear moon (idiom); period of peace and prosperity; noble and benevolent character

Bottom 3 Characters
    四时春 (literally translates as Four o'clock in spring) which refers to spring all year round.

Essentially, wishing someone the top four things together with the bottom 3 things all year round.

The Right Scroll characters are these, but I've run out of time to translate for you, I'm late for work. I'll post again later, unless someone does it for me.
    汉璧秦璆千岁品

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
    Any Jewelry likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I notice our scholar is forcing some spring bulbs.

Fid and Any Jewelry like this.
  10. Couch Potato Wannabe

Okay..... So.... Back from work now.

The Right Scroll characters don't seem to translate directly all too well into English. Perhaps the phrases used simply don't have a direct comparative meaning.
    汉璧秦璆千岁品

It 'round-a-bout' speaks of dynasties and products twinkling for a thousand years.
    Which could be taken to mean a wish of longevity and prosperity of family and possessions.

汉 - Chinese / Han Dynasty
    璧 - Jade Annulus (An ancient Chinese artifact. A flat jade/glass disc with a circular hole in the middle, though this character can be used to indicate something to be perfect or flawless, as in a product or sentiment)
    秦 - Qin Dynasty
    璆 - Tinkle (as in the twinkling shine you get from a gemstone)
    千 - Thousand
    岁 - Year
    品 - Goods / Products /Article

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  11. Couch Potato Wannabe

The red banners are Chinese Couplets.

The Chinese couplet refers to two complementary poetic lines adhering to certain rules, often written on red paper or carved on wooden uprights for appreciation. A form of Chinese literature, the couplet varies in content and style, and can be poetic and calligraphic art.

12. Bronwen

You might want to edit. I associate 'tinkle' with my mother asking my 4 year old self, Do you need to tinkle? Thank you for giving us your knowledge. :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. Couch Potato Wannabe

You know what, I may actually have that wrong anyway. The translation is tinkle, not twinkle, as such it could instead be in reference to the sound a gemstone makes, though I lack the cultural understanding for the relevance of that reference.

In English, tinkle is the sound, such as the tinkle of a bell.

Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

I think you got the author of the painting being Zhang Dali, unusual name. Which is the placing of "Freely translated, not authorized by Beij---"? scholarg.jpg Is it this one on the left side of the painting?

Bronwen likes this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Don't mind that, Mario, that post wasn't an actual translation, but meant as a joke. Couch Potato's translation is the correct one.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

17. Bronwen

Oh, I do know this (native English speaker), but in my early childhood home the word was used for a slightly different sound & the bodily function associated with it. Doubt my mother made it up, maybe a euphemism in that time & region.

Fid, BoudiccaJones and Bakersgma like this.
  18. Mario

Mario Well-Known Member

No, I meant cold in that I thought the translation by lizjewel was legit never thought I'd be led wrong on this forum. Thanks for the heads

19. Any Jewelry

I agree, it is not our usual way of handling a serious query. A joke only works if both people find it funny, so maybe she thought you were someone else.
    Anyway, you got there in the end, with the right translation from Couch Potato.:)

BoudiccaJones and Bronwen like this.
  20. Siblye

Siblye Active Member

Hi Mario, I checked the signature and yours is NOT Zhang Dali. Yours does say DaLi, which translates as ‘great strength’ and is quite common in China. As for the numbers I can’t see them clearly but I do know in China they write the date year/month/day so maybe that’s what is?

Draft saved Draft deleted