Saws or bread knives, civilian or military?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Mar 5, 2022.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

No marks on anything.

Saw and scabbard on right came together. Wondering if anyone can help with the where and when? Civilian or military?

The piece on left came from same estate but instead of the knife/bayonet lot this one came in in the carving set/cutlery lot. I thought it was just a really sturdy, heavy duty bread knife. Then while researching saw #1 I found some pieces described as military surgeons amputation saws that look similar to my “bread knife”. So is it a bread knife or amputation saw or something else?

The lots had pieces from the 1820s-WWII so far. These could fall anywhere in there or on either side I suppose. 6F67BD2C-C1F9-4C86-8E1D-0A2EFAC572F7.jpeg DEE4C382-39C2-4E9C-853D-8045DA10EFF3.jpeg D51898E4-F084-4CC3-BFA5-CF08A6DBE7E3.jpeg 4A0ED8A2-E442-4283-A857-D09BE9E17D1D.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2022
    Boland likes this.
  2. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I would also have guessed: Military medical corps or like field hospital antique bone saws..

Fid and J Dagger like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bread or cake knives.

J Dagger likes this.
  4. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

5. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Saw knives - has obvious seratting teeth and heavy duty handle for the task, can also be bone saw knives.
    The key is "Teeth per inch" also classified as TPI - the more teeth per inch, the harder substance it is meant to saw.

The far left one could actually be a bone saw, the second one may very well be an early survival knife/bayonet that can saw small pieces of wood to start a fire.

Figtree3, J Dagger and bercrystal like this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Since Dagger only showed the blades for the 2 on the left. it was tough to assess the longer one on the right, My post was about the others.

7. J Dagger

Boland likes this.
  8. J Dagger

The second does seem to be designed for wood. Others suggested a military engineers saw. Or really for any military member that needed to clear small trees and brush for any number of reasons. The absolute lack of any mark does make you wonder if it’s civilian though.

Boland likes this.
  9. J Dagger

There are only two blades. The scabbard on right goes to the blade in the center. The blade in the center is definitely intended to be a saw and not a knife IMO. It’s the one on the left that I question.

edited for spelling

10. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

HEY, who stole my little serrated knife? All i got is this big one to get through the jungle............
    [​IMG]

J Dagger likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I know of no bread knife that needs a heavy brass guard.....:playful:

12. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

The bread might fight back! :hilarious:

Figtree3, J Dagger, Rayo56 and 2 others like this.
  13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

I think the bone/amputation saw description is correct for the first one (one the left) I can’t find something much similar to the second blade. Im staring think it’s vintage handmade and then a existing scabbard (like a bayonet scabbard) was maybe used.. The more I look at the details like guard the more I think old handmade

Last edited: Mar 6, 2022
    J Dagger and Rayo56 like this.
  14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ha,like when it’s like maybe a ‘week old’ bread..

15. J Dagger

We obviously aren’t talking about French bread then! (Says the half French guy)

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  16. J Dagger

That’s totally possible that it was matched to an existing extra scabbard. It’s odd that no one has seen one just like it. Could be a one off/hand made.

Boland likes this.
  17. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

A bit of a guessing game.. Anyway an interesting item. Thanks for posting

Potteryplease and J Dagger like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted