Satsuma identify artist and age

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by katherinebuda, Jan 11, 2024.

1. katherinebuda

katherinebuda Member

The signature on base appears to show a first and last name. Last name I can make out "Young". First name I can't but almost looks like "Ware". What is the age of vase and why would someone sign in cursive English as opposed to Japanese characters? 4 ladies depicted. 1 holding a sword and another a fish. Also what is the name of this style bulbous vase?

Attached Files:

Chinoiserie and Bronwen like this.
  2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

The last name is Young. Someone put their name on it because it belonged to them or maybe wanted it to be returned to them if say, it was being moved, in a collection or a show, etc. Nice vase, but too bad about the damage.

komokwa likes this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Hi there and welcome. Looks nice but can you edit post and make the images larger by selecting full image please so we can oggle? Thanks

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  4. katherinebuda

katherinebuda Member

Screenshot_20240111_234601_Gallery.jpg

Attached Files:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. katherinebuda

katherinebuda Member

I added 2 more images. Thanks

6. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

It probably says Myrtle, but, as said above, the owner.

Draft saved Draft deleted