Satsuma Double Gourd Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by dgbjwc, Oct 23, 2019.

1. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Board Friends - I've researched what I could on Gotheborg and am hoping someone can confirm what I think I found. I believe this is a satsuma double gourd vase. The pattern repeats on the front and back. One side features the eight immortals. The opposite side features what I think are elements of a mille fleur design and two characters which I can't decipher. I'm assuming it's from the Guangxu period (1871-1908) due to the black background on the mille fleur element. I did not find any reference regarding the mark. My apologies if I've pictured the mark upside down. It's a big puppy at 15" tall. Besides confirming my suspicions any additional information regarding the marks would be much appreciated. Thank you so much!
    Don

IMG_20191023_111531553.jpg IMG_20191023_111616395.jpg IMG_20191023_111539053.jpg IMG_20191023_111706809.jpg IMG_20191023_112242228.jpg

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice....that's got a lot goin on !!! :happy:

dgbjwc likes this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, komokwa. Here it is in its new home. It came with the moriage vase next to it which I think is about the same age. The wood stand was also included. I may switch the placement so the satsuma vase is on the wood stand rather than the moriage.

IMG_20191023_125537478.jpg

4. komokwa

Whoa Don......yer not going for big stuff lately.....are ya >> :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Both nice ....& yes , change the stand...the big one looks like a floor model !!!

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I actually swore off large items. When the last round of postage raises went through it became too costly to ship the large items I was selling on ebay. I am slowly running those items through our local auction house to clear them out. I make exceptions, or course, for items I want to keep. And I still can't resist a bargain. I waited several hours but scored the pair (plus two wood stands) for a total of $30. And you were right - I switched them and they look a lot better.
    Don

6. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The original Satsuma is a Japanese style, made with a cream colored earthenware (although later the decorative style was applied to porcelain bodies). Your vase appears to be a Chinese copy. The maker's mark looks like a Chinese stamp, and the "Guangxu period" (however you arrived at that attribution) is Chinese.

Christmasjoy, judy, Bakersgma and 2 others like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, 2manybooks. It may very well be a Chinese copy. I was afraid I was confused. I based the period on the black background for the flowers but that wouldn't apply, of course, to a Chinese copy.
    Don

8. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The mark is upside down, but I'm not so sure it is a Chinese copy, that calligraphy on the side seems way too freely written to be Chinese, I'm going to say this is a piece of Kutani, not sure of the age, not new imho ...and very nice.

judy likes this.
  9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you, blooey. Clearly I'm out of my field! :hilarious: I've always tried to buy based partly on aesthetics. That way even if it's not what I think it might be at least I've got something pretty!

Christmasjoy, blooey and komokwa like this.
  10. komokwa

& pretty...that double gourd is !!! :):)

11. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Ah ...grasshopper ... the way of the connoisseur;) - you can't go wrong if you buy quality. Good for you!

Christmasjoy, judy and dgbjwc like this.
  12. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

13. 2manybooks

The calligraphy may look "freely written", but the figures and the millefleur are quite crude. Here are some examples of the Meiji period style of Satsuma I think this vase is trying to imitate:
    [​IMG]
    https://antiquestothetrade.com/home...meiji-satsuma-mille-flor-enameled-gourd-vase/
    [​IMG]
    https://www.auctionzip.com/auction-lot/A-19TH-CENTURY-JAPANESE-MEIJI-PERIOD-SATSUMA-VASE_483498DB05
    [​IMG]
    https://auction.catawiki.com/kavels...-at-play-japan-late-19th-century-meiji-period
    [​IMG]
    https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/1453195

Christmasjoy and Bakersgma like this.
  14. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

I'm quite familiar with Satsuma POTTERY - however, this is PORCELAIN. The motif of those figures, however "crude", is not exclusively the domain of Satsuma or other Kyoto earthenware potters. I agree the piece is probably catering to the same market as Satsuma, but the fact it is a little "cruder" may only be because of a later date.

Here are a pair of Kutani porcelain wedding cups in my collection that pre-date the Satsuma pottery you have shown here, but as you see these are porcelain and employ a similar "crude" figural motif.

Japanese-Kutani-wedding-cups-1024x629.jpg

Christmasjoy and judy like this.
  15. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  16. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

That's it! That's my vase! Thank you so much for finding this!

Don

komokwa likes this.
  17. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

This is the "complete" Kutani mark on your vase

7467-13E851C3-2530-4728-B9BA-44F095A166B6.jpg

18. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Thank you again. They didn't do a very good job of applying the stamp to my vase (not that it would have helped me much anyway)!
    Don

19. 2manybooks

Now that I can see the full mark, I see the similarity to Kutani marks on Gotheborg. I stand corrected.

blooey and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted