Santa Fe 2926

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Heber Richins, Jul 17, 2020.

1. Heber Richins

Heber Richins Heber C. Richins

This is something I dont have but i have visited.. This is The Atchison Topeka Santa Fe 2926 Steam Locomotive.. it was originally built in 1944.. her tender holds 7,000 gallons of fuel oil and more than 24,000 gallons of water. Her drive wheels are 80 inches tall... In her early days she haulded soldiers off to WWII and then after the war she pull freight and passengers.. in 1956 after 9 years of service when she was done it was shoved into Coronado Park where it sat for decades rusting and slowly Deteriorating... in the 1990s The Society bought 2926 and have since then brought her back to life are nearing completion.. you can visit their website at www.NMSLRHS.org
    20200717_081548.jpg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

What an awesome undertaking!!! Thanks for posting....I want to watch the video when I can get a chance!!!:):)

3. Heber Richins

this is a video with members of the society talking about 2926 and their experience....

Aquitaine likes this.
  4. Heber Richins

When 2926 is finished she she will be the biggest operating 4-8-4 Northern type locomotive in the United states....

Aquitaine likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

NIIIIIICE!!! Thanks for posting that video!!!! She's gorgeous!!!! How wonderful that will be when they get her 'rolling'!!!:singing::singing::singing:

Heber Richins likes this.
  6. Aquitaine

WELL, @Heber Richins, DH & I watched a 90 minute video on 4501 on Youtube!!!
    WOW.....fascinating history....skimmed a wee bit, but OH, SO Interesting!!! :singing::):singing::):singing::singing::singing::singing:

7. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

8. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

This is a beautiful machine and a wonderful example of how determination and it looks like a lot of hard work was expelled on this project. Well done. I will watch the video also. It reminds me of searching for a uncle that I knew when I was 10. He worked on the SS Unites States. My aunt and I would drive him to work at a pier in NY. He wore a white uniform, that ship was the most majestic and beautiful thing I ever saw. That’s all I could remember and had no one left to ask. I did more research and learned it was in a shipyard in Philadelphia and had been stripped of all original hardware. I was so sad. After further research I found it may be renovated. That was almost a year ago. Like your story about the train the ship also had an incredible story and may have carried some of the same passengers during the same era I believe. It broke speed records and I hope it will shine again like the train. I think of all the future 10 year olds that deserve to have it like the train preserved and enjoy as part of American History. Thank you for your post. I need to follow up on the ship and fulfill the awe I had as a 10 year old.