Featured S. Bent & Bros. rocking chair

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Heironymous, May 23, 2017.

1. Heironymous

Heironymous Active Member

image.jpeg Hello everyone.

I just picked up this S. Bent & Bros. rocking chair today; because it's just so comfortable!

It's a little creaky, until I get settled in it. And I'm pretty sure it has been shored-up along the way ~ judging by some tell-tale glue here & there.

But I'm really curious ... (just out of my own intellectual curiosity) ... to know if anyone might know when the manufacturing of this particular style might date?

(I haven't been able to find an image like it). It has the *old mark* as it were [from my cursory research]. And the seat appears to be made of one solid board.

But I'm a complete novice when it comes to rocking chairs. I appreciate anyone's knowledge on this.

Thank you so much.

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    judy, Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums.
    The following webpage has a little history on the S. Brent & Bros. Co.
    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/184215-looking-for-info-on-s-bent-brothers-chai

BTW, if your picture was "Full View" rather then a thumbnail, more people would look at it. Many hate to take the time clicking thumbnails, and it is hard for those accessing the forum by smart phones to click thumbnails. You can go back and edit you message by clicking "Edit" at the bottom left of your message. Then click "More Options" > at the bottom of the screen you will see the thumbnail. Click "Full View" at the right of the thumbnail.

--- Susan

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Bookahtoo
    I think the OP wanted you to look at his chair, because you said in kraftblue's thread that you worked at the company.

upload_2017-5-23_21-51-28.jpeg

Heironymous likes this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice chair......looks comfy...

Heironymous likes this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I don't know offhand - that is an unusual design.
    I have some old catalogs at the store. I'll see if I can find it.

6. Heironymous

~ duly noted; and corrected. Thank you.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  7. Heironymous

Still just learning the unique navigation of this site. (Thank you for your patience & also your help)!

8. Heironymous

PS: I had just removed the chair from my wagon, when I took the above pic. Yes, the trees were dripping with some post-rain water droplets ~ which, I assure you I wiped-up immediately, when I took it inside.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I believe you said you sell on ebay, but every Forum has it's own 'quirks' on posting images......below is some quick help for here: Have fun on this site!!!!! AND I LOVE your rocker!!!!!!:):):):)

zTutorialForIMAGES2.jpg

Heironymous and komokwa like this.
  10. Alana

Alana New Member

Okay..so apparently I've found only you and I with this chair!! Was yours painted black? Mine is beautiful maple. There's an engraved stamp..S. Bent & Bros Inc. Gardner Mass. Mine has also under the seat the numbers 10/55. They are windsor chairs. The arms are steam bent...unique. I read that that this company also did chairs for University's & Colleges. I wish I knew more about this chair. Hard to believe on the entire internet just ours that look like this! We might have something!!

11. Dj Searles

Dj Searles New Member

I just acquired one of these chairs too! Do we know the name of the arm style? Its so unique

Draft saved Draft deleted