Sèvres or Sèvres "style"?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by flowerchild, Oct 20, 2023.

?

Sèvres or Fake

1. Sèvres

2. Fake

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. flowerchild

flowerchild New Member

Hi everyone :)

New to the site and antiques in general, but have very quickly developed an intense passion for all of it.

I purchased two porcelain portrait plates in an auction recently, and I think they could be Sèvres style, or even possibly Sèvres itself, though I know how unlikely that is. I loved the celeste blue colour and the beauty of the gilding. I tried to find out who the ladies are as well but all I have are guesses.

I can't access the backs/stamps until I pick them up tomorrow morning. Should I be worried about damaging the framing?

Thanks for all help and knowledge in advance

N

front.jpg back.jpg 1.jpg IMG_7501.jpg

pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

JMHO, but the painted gold border appears rather primitive/sloppy.
    Also need close-up photos of the ladies to see if they're actually hand-painted, my old eyes can't tell from the photos provided.
    And did Sevres do oval portrait plates?
    Looking forward to see what the experts here say...

3. flowerchild

flowerchild New Member

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/w...ed-plaque-hand-painted-picture/id-f_34190572/

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/w...elain-plaque-hand-carved-frame/id-f_11596521/

Of the similar items I referenced while researching, the majority of them that are oval in shape are listed as Sèvres "style" but there were a few, like the two linked above that are listed as manufactured by Sèvres.. Should I assume they're full of it or just ignorant to what they actually have? Not sure what the honor code is like amongst antiques dealers lol, but like I said in my first post, I do understand the scarcity of genuine Sèvres and that there are a lot of imitations floating around. That's why I'm here, asking :)

And don't worry, I don't think it's your eyes. It was tough for my young ones with the quality of the pictures. I'll post something better quality/the backs tomorrow.

bluumz likes this.
  4. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, come back with photos of any marks on the reverse once you've taken them out of the frames! :)

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted