Russian Papier-Mâché Decorative Lacquer Box, Troika (or is it Troyka?) Scene

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by dude, Dec 26, 2020.

1. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I haven't measured or weighed it, but I'd say this piece is about 4-5" wide and about 4-5 ounces. I'm thinking modern, $50-75, egg-based tempera, from Palekh, but I'd like to be sure as these some of these boxes can fetch a lot.

How can one tell what Russian Center these pieces are from: Palekh, Kholuy, Mystora, or Fedoskino? I know oil paints were used in Fedoskino, but what are some clues in the design/look (besides vivid details)?

I'm also curious about the subject matter in the piece.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions.

IMG_20201226_144623.jpg IMG_20201226_144437.jpg IMG_20201226_144452.jpg IMG_20201226_144429.jpg IMG_20201226_144313.jpg IMG_20201226_144415.jpg

Last edited: Dec 27, 2020
    Any Jewelry and judy like this.
  2. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

is it signed?

dude, judy and komokwa like this.
  3. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I did not see a signature but will check again.

judy likes this.
  4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

The origin town and usually decorators name are along the bottom edge under the design. Compare what you see in the Cyrillic script with known examples from the towns that you mention to match up the origin.
    BTW I don't see a troika, three horses but no vehicle!

kyratango, patd8643, judy and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Given it says Russia, it's later.

dude, komokwa, 2manybooks and 2 others like this.
  7. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Looks like there might be writing in gold in the black lacquered part just below the picture. It might or might not be legible. I have several Russian lacquered boxes, all modern. On at least one or two of mine the writing has breaks in it, done quickly, I assume, and can't be read. If you can see if it looks like writing below the pic and get a clearer photo, we can try to read it.

As @Ownedbybear mentioned, the word "Russia" on the label indicates it was made after the fall of the Soviet Union, so within the past 30 years.

komokwa, dude, judy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, there is gold writing here, just below the coloured part:

upload_2020-12-27_15-7-28.jpeg

kyratango, komokwa, dude and 2 others like this.
  9. Figtree3

Thank you -- currently am using my phone and even when enlarged, I can't make out most of it. I can say that it appears that all three of the following parts may be on it: at the left is the name of the city where it was made; in the middle in quotation marks is the title of the image; on the right is the name of the person who painted it, which in this case looks like two initials with a period after each.

10. Any Jewelry

It is the same on my laptop. I tried to tweak the photo a bit, but the original photo is so small.

dude and Figtree3 like this.
  11. Any Jewelry

I think the initials could be A.W.?
    I think the town could be just to the left of the initials, Palekh probably?

i need help and dude like this.
  12. Figtree3

Maybe, but it appears that there may be quotation marks, which would indicate the title of the picture. I do see a letter "P" ( but in Cyrillic). I think it is in the quoted area, though. With this picture we may not be able to figure it out.

i need help, dude and Any Jewelry like this.
  13. Figtree3

Also, I see what you mean about the W, but the Russian alphabet does not have that letter. It could be something else.

dude and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. April07

April07 Well-Known Member

I think we need a close-up photo of the signature to read it

komokwa, dude, Figtree3 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Yes, that is why I thought Palekh, it also looks like the style of Palekh. But if it is in the quoted part, it is probably something else.
    Best wait for a better close up.:)

dude and Figtree3 like this.
  16. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I used a brighter light and the best magnification my camera has and found what everyone has been speculating about. Now it should be easier for all to figure out the entirety of what is marked: IMG_20201227_131238 (1).jpg IMG_20201227_131317.jpg IMG_20201227_131327.jpg IMG_20201227_131338.jpg IMG_20201227_131314.jpg IMG_20201227_131332.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. dude

dude Well-Known Member

I still can't make out all of what it says. lol. MCMEpa Kumec Lopoynok A.10?

18. Any Jewelry

And there I was thinking the first word could be Mstera.:hilarious:
    Best leave it to the Russian readers.;)

dude likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Yes, the place is Mstera. That is one of the places that makes a lot of lacquerware.

I'm going to page @April07 again. Since she is a native Russian speaker she is faster than I am. Meanwhile, I'll try to make it out.

And thank you for the excellent photos, @dude !

Added: I think the initials are either А.Ю. or А. Ш. More likely the first, I think. But see what others think.

komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  20. Figtree3

patd8643, dude, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted