Featured Russian hand painted egg - Signed

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Chinoiserie, Jul 3, 2024 at 6:05 PM.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I still say we should have a wood forum. Another find from yesterday. A hand painted, signed russian egg. Date looks like 1994, so not that old. Google tells me that it depicts "Ivan Tsarevich and the Firebird."

It's 12cm tall plus the stand.

IMG20240703225817_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240703225824_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240703225849_copy_3000x4000.jpg

stracci, Boland, Aquitaine and 3 others like this.
  2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

3. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Name seems to be Kostikova. Didn't find additional info.

nastina.nastea and Chinoiserie like this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Thanks for looking. Not been able to find anything on them myself. Although my interpretation of the spelling may have been a bit suspect. I will try your version

Marote likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it does. It is one of the most popular subjects in Russian lacquer art. This is the story:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsarevitch_Ivan,_the_Firebird_and_the_Gray_Wolf

More background:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firebird_(Slavic_folklore)
    I think the essence of this Russian lacquer egg is that it is hand-painted Russian lacquer. So instead of a wood forum (which would includes fruit bowls, tribal masks, clogs, etc) we may or may not need forums on Russian folk art, lacquer, or painting.;)
    Wait a minute, we already have an 'Arts' forum.:jawdrop:

How this lacquer art egg has come to be identified as either Needlework, Textile Art, or Clothing is a mystery to me. Or has the Arts forum gone AWOL?:confused:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2024 at 9:55 AM
    Marote likes this.
  6. Chinoiserie

Thank you. I'll take a look.

Some things just are wood and don't fit in anywhere.

Not sure how it ended up here. I thought I'd posted it to the Porcelain and glass forum under protest.

Any Jewelry and Marote like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

This isn't one of them imo.
    Maybe you wanted even fewer eyes on it?:angelic:

Draft saved Draft deleted