Rumrill Pottery Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by kardinalisimo, Aug 20, 2015.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Can anyone tell by the markings who was the maker?
    I found the same bowl but there is no "Made In USA".
    http://www.tias.com/1046/PictPage/1011307.html
    The seller also says that there is light age crazing on the interior ( can't tell from his pictures) but on mine the crackles are all over ( but you have to look closer) I think they are more like decorative than natural.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

http://www.tias.com/1046/PictPage/1011307.html
    ~
    Sorry! Misread what you wrote... Though I read 'no picture'. :p
    It's early............. ;)
    ~
    Were such things actually stamped or hand done. Maybe they just missed it.... Too many chocolates in mouth and down blouse already............. ;)

3. KingofThings

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Kard - Not sure I understand the question but will give it a try:

In general - for Made in USA or just USA marks there are no surefire cues. Sometimes you can get a clue from the mark, though. A U.S.A. mark with periods tells me to check Shawnee first. A uSa mark tells me to check Brush first.

For Rumrill - your bowl shows in the 1941 Rumrill catalog which would indicate that it was produced at Florence Pottery Company. I wouldn't get too hung up on which company made which Rumrill piece. It's interesting information but I'm not sure it transfers much into buyer interest. In my experience it's usually the glaze and shape that matters with Rumrill. As far as I know Rumrill never intentionally produced a crackled or crazed finish.

That being said, bulb bowls like the example above don't generate much interest no matter who produced them (and just about every pottery company did). I've got stacks of these suckers and while they do sell occasionally they don't do as well as other forms. The bulb bowl form is usually best avoided unless super cheap or with a very unusual glaze. JMHO
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  5. kardinalisimo

Thanks. My question was if it was made by RedWing, Godner, Florence... You answered it.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I knew I had one of these bad boys around here somewhere! I don't know why yours says Made in USA and mine doesn't. But no doubt the mold was remade several times.
    Don

IMG_20150821_112807803.jpg IMG_20150821_112822245.jpg

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

KingofThings likes this.
  8. KingofThings

I did. :)
    Did you get my reference? :wideyed:

9. kardinalisimo

I have a rare "Made In USA" mark. Just kidding.
    By they way, maybe some of the Rumrill molds were reused in the different factories. So, the bowl could have been done by Gonder or maybe Shawnee.

10. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Quite possible - I'm still thinking Florence but could be Gonder. I think an "H" designation might be too late for Shawnee.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted