Ruined pastel repaired

Discussion in 'Art' started by Houseful, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Thought this was a dead loss. Bought at a carboot for £4 anyway. Thought it was lovely and just couldn't leave it. Pastel on carpenters sandpaper, obviously got damp and really cockled the sandpaper. Took it to a framer who had a dry mount press, he trimmed a bit off the top and voila!! So glad it got saved, it's by an Artist CJA Stones who died pretty young, he made some videos about pastel painting and was a teacher here in UK. image.jpg

Attached Files:

cxgirl and Messilane like this.
  2. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Impressive.

Congratulations.

The work has a real delicacy... gentility... refinement... about it.

3. Houseful

Thanks Gila, this ones staying with me for a good while.
    Rescuing stuff is my thing, even earthworms half dead on the pavement(sidewalk) get picked up while dog walking to give them a chance to get back into the soil. They normally move a bit when I pick them up. No kiss of life though as I wouldn't know which end!!

Jen and George and Messilane like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

That came out really nicely!

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Looks great! Did it end up getting dry-mounted then?

Something about this doesn't look like pastel. Sharper than most I have seen. Looks more like a watercolor when looking at the close-up. Maybe what you call pastel is different than what we call it in the US? Here it is more like colored chalk and art done with them have a more blended appearance than this.

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Brad, that's exactly what I was noticing when it seemed to delicate and clear! But in not questioning the pastel idea, I could only remark on the really refined vibe I got.

7. Houseful

Definitely pastel chalk, same as US I would imagine. Christopher Asheton Stones was the Artist and may have has a technique to make his work look a particular way. I'd like to see if I can get hold of one of his videos( I still have a VHS)! Picture painted in 1978.
    Yes Brad it got put in a dry mounting press. It was a bit of an experiment and the framer thought it might crease but I had nothing to lose and all was well.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted