Featured Ruby glass champagne coupes

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by John Brassey, Aug 22, 2022.

1. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I’ve been way from the group for some time due to home circumstances but hope to be a regular again soon.

i found these somewhat gaudy champagne coupes today. Glass is not my speciality but I’ve done some research and found ones with near identical decoration described as c1950s Murano and c1950s Bohemian. Can anybody tell me if either is correct?

thanks

John

Attached Files:

Figtree3, bercrystal, judy and 10 others like this.
  2. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Hooray !!, so good to have you back sir John :)

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome back, John!! Those are almost too pretty to drink out of!

bercrystal, judy, johnnycb09 and 5 others like this.
  4. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

from the leaves I'd say from Italy:)

Library - 1 of 1.jpeg

5. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

Thanks that’s really helpful

judy, Bronwen and cxgirl like this.
  6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

NOT helpful, but GORGEOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

judy, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Gaudy is right, but someone will like them. Especially with those cameos on there. Right, @Bronwen ? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: Italian would be my guess too.

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

John, I would go with Italian also. For resale, it almost doesn't matter. There is a market for this type of glass and it sells very well.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd be in the Italy camp with those cameos and the shape.

10. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I concur with OBB that the use of the cameos is a strong indicator for Italy. I have a loopy bon bon with a cameo on it that could only be Murano:

bon bon 2B.jpg bon bon 3B.jpg

11. Ownedbybear

That's a rigaree frill, that is. Not all of those are made on Murano, some were or are Empoli. But still Italian.

judy and Bronwen like this.
  12. Bronwen

What Google is showing me for Empoli glass is sedate compared to this; some elaborate forms, but mostly monochromatic. This combo, with the vivid yellow, colorless rigaree (thanks for providing the term, I can never remember it), gilt decoration, opaline pedestal - which has a twisted effect the pic doesn't capture - & the applied resin cameo, has the over-the-topness I associate with Murano. Have seen another just like it for sale, with the exception of the cameo having been placed on the side instead of on the lid.

John Brassey and judy like this.
  13. Ownedbybear

The shape and rigaree and even colours on yours are typically Empoli, but the cameo isn't of course. Oddly, the gilding is more Bohemian in style. Makers copy styles. ;)

John Brassey, judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. Bronwen

Thou sayest truth.

John Brassey, judy and Ownedbybear like this.
  15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I sold this vase with cameo in March 2018 for $99. The decoration looks very similar to your stems and I think they would be worth more than this vase.

D4F062B4-E172-4660-AF82-8F295D89C767_500x375.jpg 1518A0C2-0AAF-45A5-BFEA-8407D1658861_500x375.jpg CAEBBD59-C8E9-4D47-8201-B84C11EC2A90_500x375.jpg

@Bronwen I love your covered jar! It's gorgeous. Is it possible that the cameo was glued on after the fact by a previous owner?

16. Bronwen

Doubtful, as I've seen another just like it with the exception of the cameo's being placed on the body instead of the lid. But in both cases it almost seems like an afterthought. It's quite a production, the better part of a foot tall.

judy and bercrystal like this.
  17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Draft saved Draft deleted