Rubina Verde ? Jack in the Pulpit Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Mar 21, 2016.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

This jack in the pulpit vase is 12" tall, shaded pink opalescent top, curved optic stem and faintly optic base. Very pale green color to the glass. The pontil is open with some opalescence in it.

Is it Rubina Verde or is there another name for this coloration?

Any idea on the maker?

Thanks so much!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

quirkygirl likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I don't think it's rubina verde. Looks like it might be vaseline glass. Do you have a black light you could test it with?

3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Is it vaseline? First pic is with black light only; second is with black light and overhead light on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

desperate_fun and Jen and George like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Now THAT'S something !!!!!

5. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

I would not call it Rubina Verde. I would go with Uranium Glass JIP with Red Opalescent top. The Rubina Verde I have seen is a much darker green to red. Beautiful vase. can"t help with the maker though,

6. Bdigger

True Vaseline glass is yellow. The green that glows under blacklight is called Uranium Glass. I can't really tell if yours is yellow or green.
    This little rhyme may help. If it's green it isn't Vaseline. ALTHOUGH ,,,, many refer to anything that glows under blacklight as Vaseline Glass.

7. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Bdigger,
    I have to make one correction to your message. It is Vaseline. Look at the bottom rim in the first and third photo. It is yellow-green which is Vaseline. If it was pure green you would be correct in not calling it Vaseline. Remember that Vaseline was first called canary. The yellow green is the real color of Vaseline.
    greg

Bdigger likes this.
  8. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember the old color of vaseline ointment, and it did have a yellow-green tinge. So, I think it is vaseline glass. If you look closely at the 2nd photo of the neck, even with the pinkish overtone, the vaseline color is there. I'm still a little confused about the top part, though. Is it possible that the top is also vaseline but with red opalescence over it? I don't really understand how these colored glasses were made.

9. Bdigger

I agree Greg. I guess I wasn't clear enough in my post. Couldn't really tell if it was green or yellow- green. What is odd, is that the neck seems to be a pinkish color in the photos, but that may be the reflection from the top part.

10. Bdigger

Ascot.......my guess would be that after blowing the Vaseline part..... The top part may have been dipped in another mineral and reheated to achieve the red color before it was formed into the jip form.

11. Bdigger

Now that I look closer....in picture no.2 it appears that the red color is only on the top part of the jip form. That kinda stumps me. I would think if it wake dipped the red would go through to the back part too. Without having it in hand it is hard to tell. Now I wonder if the red might not be applied somehow. Picture 1 kinda looks like that could be the case. Maybe somebody else will know more.

12. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Yes, the red shading to pink is on the front, sort of like it's cased glass. I'll take a couple more close-up photos in the morning and maybe you can tell how it was done. Thank you!

13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

:):)ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS .....!!!!!!!!!:):):):):)

14. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Here are more photos, taken in natural light, that may help determine how the pink was added to the flower top.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pearlsnblume and Jen and George like this.
  15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Given that it is red on top and canary (some call it Vaseline) on the bottom, it may be called Rubina Verde, it fits the description.
    There are a small number of ways the red could have been put there, one is by inserting the canary gather in a ring of red glass and inflating it to seal the two colors together, another by a die-away process where the gather is dipped in (cased in) red glass and the green heated and blown stretching the red very thin. There are probably other ways, too. I'm a student of glass, not an artist with it.

16. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom I was hoping you would check in.

17. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thanks, Tom!

18. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have a similar vase that I've had for about 10 years. I put it on the ebay PGP board in 2009 for an ID and no one could identify it. There's a vaseline glass collector whose name is Dave, aka mr vaseline glass (I think). He commented that it might have been made by Loetz, but he really didn't know for sure, so it became an Unknown. Here it is. This one glows brightly and all over under UV as well and appears to be cased with white glass over the vaseline glass. When I hold the UV light to the sides, it glows through the white glass. Very cool. If you intend to sell yours, knowing who made it might not be a hard requirement. It is sooo beautiful, who would really care?

DSCF8577.jpg DSCF8586.jpg DSCF8598.jpg

19. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Ola,
    Your photo made me remember that I'd had one like yours years ago. I think it was ID'd as Boston & Sandwich, but don't take that to the bank. Still, I recalled seeing one like yours in one of Ruth Webb Lee's books. Look what I found! A photo with vases similar to yours in the top row, and what looks like my vase in the bottom row! Ms. Lee doesn't give any info other than "Group of novelty vases, popular during the 1870s and 1880s." The book's title is "Victorian Glass Handbook".

[​IMG]

20. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I'll be darned! Both vases! I've seen vases like mine before, but they are usually red at the top and much shorter. Mine is about 11 1/2" tall and a full 8" across the JIP part. Plus, I was just curious.

Draft saved Draft deleted