RSPCA Donation information request: Gold Peacock Plate

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Martin RSPCA, Aug 21, 2015.

1. Martin RSPCA

Martin RSPCA Active Member

Hello again, Martin here from the RSPCA,

I have a plate that was in a box of generously donated ceramics, it came with another plate marked "Art of Chokin", this one has no markings on the back but has a two Chinese symbols stamped on the front (which I have pictured below) SAM_2086.JPG SAM_2087.JPG SAM_2088.JPG SAM_2089.JPG

The peacock is absolutely stunning and is raised from the plate slightly.

If anyone has any information I would be extremely grateful.

With many thanks

Martin
    www.RSPCA-Auctions.co.uk

KingofThings likes this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Martin RSPCA and KingofThings like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hello Martin and welcome - thank you for all you do for the animals! Not very good news on the Chokin plate, though, I'm afraid. As afantiques notes these are considered modern. I have had a similar plate on eBay at $9.99 with a best offer option for some time. Haven't gotten a nibble. At least in the US there appear to be far more of these for sale than there are buyers. :arghh:
    Don

Martin RSPCA and KingofThings like this.
  4. Martin RSPCA

Martin RSPCA Active Member

Thank you dgbjwc and afantiques for being so helpful :) I will list them accordingly, even at a few £'s its worth me putting them on, I'm just so please I have found this site, i wouldn't want to sell something I've described as an Antique if it isn't!!

Thank you again,

Martin

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I'm pretty dang sure I have one. If not I've seen one recently at the thrift.

Martin RSPCA likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

about 4 inches wide.....I sold this a decade ago..... chok1.JPG chok4.JPG

KingofThings likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

You keep records and pictures that far back, komokwa! I usually can't even remember what's in the packages by the time I get to the post office! :(
    Don

cxgirl, wenna, Jen and George and 4 others like this.
  8. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

@Martin RSPCA Hi -
    In my area Peacocks are very collectible - I would be sure to emphasize that.

I do sell some Chokin in my B&M, generally in the $9-18 range depending on what it is. Not a fast seller. I'm in CA

Martin RSPCA, dgbjwc and KingofThings like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have most every digital photo I've ever taken.
    I'm reticent to throw anything out, to the point of being an organized hoarder ! :)

That's why I fit in so well here....:wideyed:

But most of my pics have to do with business , so when I saw a mask on eBay recently , I not only knew I'd sold it on eBay 15 years ago.....I still had the pics to prove it !
    & the guy who's now selling a copy of a mask that he once sold me .....that included the same photo's of the original.....I've got that covered too.

& I'm sitting here looking at my plastic Rat Fink ring , that I got out of a vending machine in the 60's !!
    No Photo's...but still own the ring !! :p

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those plates don't do well here in Connecticut; they generally have to give them away. The black lacquer furniture lovers like chokin ware too, so if you can find them, you're golden. No clue about the other side of the Pond; things I can't give away here sell like hotcakes in California and Texas. Meanwhile the reverse is true too, and some items with no bites in the USA export regularly to Europe.

Martin RSPCA likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'm afraid they don't do all that well here either. I think Martin would do best to sell this via one of the RSPCA's shops.

12. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

No demand in the PNW either.

Draft saved Draft deleted