Royal Worcester Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Brubaker50, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Brubaker50

Brubaker50 Well-Known Member

Took a chance on this vase while I bought a vintage brass table lamp just lifted it up on my way out the door and wondered were there any Worcester people about that could fill me in with an artist or point me in the direction I can find out.Again and I P9060245.JPG P9060249.JPG P9060246.JPG P9060247.JPG dont mind saying any help always appreciated on these boards.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  2. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

It looks like it was stenciled with a gold outline and quickly hand painted by a worker and with no signature there would be no recognisable artist. It strikes me as being quite poorly painted (if it is actually painted) for an 1888 Worcester vase and I'm wondering if it's a fake. Could be wrong. Best to wait for the experts.
    Cheers
    Stephen

Christmasjoy and antidiem like this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

4. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

Brubaker50, judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Brubaker50

Having handled the vase agin and had a closer look I honestly dont think this is a biscuit barrel and dont think it had a lid.At the top where the biscuit barrel has gilding there is no trace on mine just a gilded line around the rim.The flowers go over the bottom of my vase slightly where there is heavy gold gilding on the biscuit barrel and no trace og gilding on mine.Im away to investigate the marks on the bottom as theres a lot of them and see what I find I know roughly the year.Again thank you all for reading and replying its an education thank you.

6. Brubaker50

I have noticed the biscuit barrel in this shape with a lid has a different pattern number 1401 to the vase that I have which makes me think its produced without a lid as a vase.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I think it had a lid. Worcester biscuit barrel has a lid with a flange that sits inside the barrel rim. The rim is gilded in mine. It also has an underplate which yours may have had, too. It is not fake, but genuine. Won’t be able to ID the artist as this is a rather generic decoration for Worcester. It is sometimes called blush or blush ivory ware.

Brubaker50 likes this.
  8. Brubaker50

Hi yes all the pieces of this shape had a lid Ive seen a few now that I know what it is thank you for that.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I'd not call it blush ivory: that has a much more creamy verging on peach colouring to it.

kentworld likes this.
  10. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

You’re probably right. This is glossy and not matte which most blush ivory wares were. It’s in the age range of blush ivory wares.

Draft saved Draft deleted