Royal Worcester imposter?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Dec 26, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I picked up this ages ago mainly out of intrigue. I'd never seen decor like it on porcelain and wasn't sure if it was an amateur at work. At the time there were no positive results on Google images and it got forgotten about. I have dug some things out recently to have a sort out and this was one of them. I decided to Google it again and have found some very similar royal Worcester cups and saucers. My item however doesn't have the mark. Could it be an unmarked piece or is it someone trying to imitate?

https://www.cotswold-antiques.com/p...-cup-saucer-painted-with-foxgloves-mint-1906/

IMG20231226134400_copy_1054x1405.jpg IMG20231226134407_copy_1114x1485.jpg IMG20231226134419_copy_1234x1645.jpg IMG20231226134432_copy_1029x1373.jpg IMG20231226134436_copy_1255x1673.jpg

Figtree3 and judy like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Just saying that the artwork looks a bit like stylized yew flowers and berries.

Figtree3, Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. Chinoiserie

Stylised as in abstract?

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Stylized as in artistic license was taken with the depiction of the plant, it's not true to form.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2023
    Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Figtree3, komokwa, kentworld and 3 others like this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Not Royal Worcester, but I can see the similarity. My guess is a minor Staffordshire factory c. 1860/80. The floral painting is a little "untutored" looking.

Figtree3 and Chinoiserie like this.
  7. Chinoiserie

Thanks Kent. Untutored is a polite way of saying it ;)

kentworld likes this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Interesting that you found such a similar pattern, and it doesn't appear to be the same maker. Did you use Google Lens to find this?

Chinoiserie and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think I cropped the pattern and did a google image search (if I remember correctly :rolleyes:)

Chinoiserie and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Chinoiserie

It would be interesting to know what makes them think it is German.

Draft saved Draft deleted