Royal Worcester demitasse gilt interior 1869-value?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by etg, Jan 5, 2024.

1. etg

etg New Member

I have a set of 6 Royal Worcester demitasse cup and saucer - gilt lined. If I read the markings correctly they are from 1869. No chips, cracks, or crazing that I can see.
    Anybody have an idea of what they're worth?
    demitasse.jpg demitasse-1.jpg demitasse-2.jpg demitasse-4.jpg demitasse-3.jpg

johnnycb09 and bercrystal like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Agreed, they’re much later than 1869. Made in England is a big clue.

4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

As Obb says, Made in England is a good date indicator. According to the source below, "Made in" usually means post-1914.
    Your set is very pretty! Checking ebay SOLD prices will give you best indication for value. It also depends where in the world these are located and will be sold. Here in the USA, I see sets of six 1920s RW demitasse cups/saucers sold recently on ebay for anywhere from $70-$250. IMHO, yours would be in the upper half of that price range... but could take a while to sell.

https://www.stokemuseums.org.uk/pma.../GUIDES-TO-DATING-POTTERY-FROM-BACKSTAMPS.pdf

Screenshot (64).png

komokwa likes this.
  5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Very nice coffee set -- the little enamel dots and decorations are called "jewels." I bet these originally came in a very handsome case, possibly with silver demitasse spoons as well. I would've placed this set in the 19teens and I can't see the date code mark well enough. 1929 sounds fine but you can check by googling Royal Worcester date marks.

komokwa likes this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I also see the "open diamond" mark under the O in Royal Worcester, which denotes 1929. :)

Screenshot (72).png

kentworld likes this.
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yes, that's correct. :) The mark beside the RW crown mark was used primarily in the 19teens and into the '20s.

bluumz and komokwa like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’d agree on it perhaps being a boxed set. I’ve seen them with nice silver gilt spoons.

kentworld likes this.
  9. etg

etg New Member

Thanks everyone for the excellent information. I have just listed these on eBay in the US as a 7 day auction starting at $150. Please pass the word to anyone who might be interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted