Royal Vienna Newbie Help!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Apollo_23, Jan 1, 2024.

1. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

Hello All,
    So glad I found this place. My Grandmother passed away a few years back. I was cleaning out the garage and I found a box of her belongings. In it was at least 10 different Royal Vienna items. My question is, is it real. She came to the USA from Hungary, a year before the Germans invaded with this, I was told. How do I tell if it is real. Any feedback would be helpful

Attached Files:

johnnycb09 likes this.
  2. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Based on what I see here, it is a fake mark.

6. Letters, words or shapes in gold overglaze are indications of forgeries. If part of the base is covered with a golden shape, this shape usually hides the original manufacturers mark.

It also said any beehive mark the is totally symmetrical is a fake. Your's looks pretty symmetrical.

3. . Any Bindenschild that is stamped in blue underglaze or overglaze and has perfect symmetry and shape is not a Vienna Porcelain mark.

Here is a good link to the Royal Vienna Marks.

Dating Vienna Porcelain Marks: Bindenschild & Beehive Mark - (antique-marks.com)

Hope this helps!

Wait for others to chime in. The above is an uninformed opinion based on a little research I did. I'm no expert.

Would love to see the other pieces.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2024
    Figtree3, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  3. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

Thank you for that. Here is a cup too.

Attached Files:

4. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

I took a picture of a tea cup as well. I need to unwrap the rest and take pictures

5. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I thought the 'rose' mark typically meant the item was a blank and decorated elsewhere - I want to say Rosenthal but I am probably wrong.

Figtree3 likes this.
  6. Apollo_23

Apollo_23 New Member

Sorry, what does that mean?

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

As Bdigger stated above, the gold mark -- often a flower -- is used to cover up another mark which could be the factory mark or the decorator factory mark (some companies decorated "blanks" supplied by other factories). The items you have posted all seem to be early 20th c to me. The beehive mark, or bildenshield, is one of the most copied/faked marks around. Sevres and Meissen are widely copied/faked, too.

laura9797, Figtree3, komokwa and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted