Royal Doulton Marks

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by F Green, Feb 19, 2020.

1. F Green

F Green Member

Hello all why so many marks and what do they all mean??

Any help, as always gratefully received!

Attached Files:

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Right. This is Doulton Lambeth, strictly speaking, not Doulton Burslem which is what's typically called Royal Doulton.

Doulton were fabulous for marks: not just the factory but every hand it passed through. The number is a pattern mark - sometimes, they're dates, but this isn't. It refers to a rather more mass produced item.

You've a hand incised set of initials which will be the main decorator, whilst the other two marks are assistants.

Better photos please - I'd like the whole object and also a non shiny one of the base, ideally with clear close ups of the incised initials and the stamped ones. Then, I can probably tell you which people did it and when more accurately.

3. F Green

F Green Member

4. F Green

F Green Member

Many thanks for replying, I’ll take some better pictures now.

5. F Green

F Green Member

6. Ownedbybear

That's very nice, and quite rare. It's Maori Ware - Kia-Ora. 1906/7 or thereabouts. I'll go check the marks.

judy and F Green like this.
  7. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

8. Ownedbybear

No, hers were hand done script not impressed. Impressed marks were assistants, usually. Looking again at this better image, the BW is a reference to the type of clay, not a decorator's mark.

The two blocks and C , if that's what it is, could be Lilian Curtis, but might also be Kate Castle, which is closer for the letter shape. Anyhow, it would be the assistant.

These were first made in 1906, revived in 1925. A collaboration between Francis Pope and J H Mott. I think the incised decorator's script mark is for Mott, albeit sloppily done.

9. F Green

F Green Member

Thanks for taking the time to help, so much to learn! It’s definitely fascinating

10. Ownedbybear

Most welcome. The detailed marks are one of the reasons I love Doulton Lambeth. That's a very nice piece.

Draft saved Draft deleted