royal crown derby which pattern is this ?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Jun 2, 2023.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Did you google Derby marks? Or could be under Royal Crown Derby marks.

3. sunday silence

I did but I didnt see anything quite like it. It's concerning because the mark seems somewhat superflous or hurried, I guess I would say. Especially in the crown area, but also the large vertical stroke on the D seems out of place. Maybe it is Edme Samson as one those marks has some similarity.

thanks for your help.

4. kentworld

Huh, I can't see it either. If you don't mind me snagging your photos, I'll see if the FB group can enlighten us. Edme Samson was a very prolific imitator! :D

5. sunday silence

there's something similar on the site below under the 1806-1825 period but again that mark is made with a little more care. Going to pull out my Goddens book which is maybe where I should have started...

https://antique-marks.com/derby-marks.html

6. kentworld

The Nottingham road marks look the closest, and I initially thought c. 1820ish for date. Someone was pretty sloppy making that mark!

7. Barry Stephen

Barry Stephen Active Member

hi sunday silence,
    see some pics below of this cup and saucer set I picked up. Similar hand painted marks and my logic is that its genuine as nobody would make a fake then break it and repair it ?? I want to believe its 1820s.
    regards IMG_7453 small.jpg IMG_7454 small.jpg IMG_7456 small.jpg IMG_7455 small.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted