Featured Royal crown Derby vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Oct 10, 2023.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I saw a pair of royal crown Derby vases on my travels on Saturday. They were lavishly decorated but at £125 for the pair and damage around the rims I thought it too high risk. They were about 12 inches tall and had the numbers 2553 916 on the base. Not sure if I made a massive blunder or saved myself a load of heart ache by walking away but it kind of hurt me making that decision. Had there been no damage, I'm pretty sure they would be sat on my hearth right now.

IMG20231007130158_copy_1024x1365.jpg

2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

How bad was the damage? Do you have a photo?
    For me personally, condition is everything.

3. Chinoiserie

Yeah condition is a big deal. On the rim of one there was a piece about 30mm long broken off and then glued back on. The other one had a bits broken of an missing. They seemed pretty fragile. Not quite egg shell but quite thin. Not something you would like to send in the post.

Any Jewelry, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

bust up.......is bust up !!
    u don't need that!

5. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It is gorgeous but I learned a very long time ago if its chipped,cracked or repaired walk on by ! Why not just buy the one ?

Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  6. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I think you did the right thing to pass on them.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

With glass, once it's damaged it's done. Ceramics aren't too far behind that, unless they're older than dirt and rare into the bargain. These aren't really either.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Because they both have damage. I doubt they would have split them either way.

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I don't mind some things with minimal damage if they're rare or very very interesting. These vases are awesome but I think the damage is too extensive for the price.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Yeah its where the damage is as well. Right on the rim which is one of the focal points. Had it been chipped on the foot rim you could perhaps ignore it a little but not on the rim.

ola402 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted