Featured Rouen vases?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Chinoiserie, Aug 31, 2024.

1. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I picked these up today in a charity shop in Stockport. Its absolutely huge (ground floor of an old department store) and looks like a meteorite has hit it. Just things piled up and strewn all over the place. My kind of place.

These were in the shop window. I think they are possibly french faience, Rouen maybe or possibly Italian. They are 22cm tall.

IMG20240831182845_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240831182901_copy_4000x3000.jpg IMG20240831182915_copy_3000x4000.jpg IMG20240831182918_copy_3000x4000.jpg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Google lens is coming up with similar Fourmaintraux faience. Might be worth a look.

Any Jewelry and Chinoiserie like this.
  3. Poppies

Poppies Member

Chinoiserie likes this.
  4. Chinoiserie

Thanks for suggestions. I'll take a look.

Poppies likes this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I agree, it looks like Fourmaintraux or another Desvres/Deveren maker. They call it Rouen style, but made in Desvres/Deveren. I believe they also have a ceramics museum.

kentworld and Chinoiserie like this.
  6. Chinoiserie

Thanks AJ. I have found two exact matches on Google images but when you click into the search results they are false leads. Grrrr.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. Poppies

Poppies Member

8. Chinoiserie

Thanks for your efforts. I can see it hiding in there. Pity it's a job lot and lumped together with the rest. They've not given it much attention or detail. Although they do say "A selection of FOURMAINTRAUX items".

I've been trying to find the signature but struggling. Looks like JEH, TEH or FEH perhaps.

Poppies likes this.
  9. Chinoiserie

10. kentworld

Well, if you find it, come back and let us know, please!

Poppies, Chinoiserie and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. Chinoiserie

Will do. Still scratching my head. I've posted it on a Facebook group and the leader commented on it. They just said "#4 = name of the painter". Not sure what #4 is though.

kentworld and Poppies like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I guess the FB group is as mysterious as the maker.:confused:

Poppies, kentworld and Chinoiserie like this.
  13. kentworld

There's a "4" in that mark???

14. Chinoiserie

It crossed my mind that that's what he meant. One of them looks like it could be a 4 on a bad day but the other one kind of cements it as being a H or definitely not a 4.

kentworld and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted