Featured Rotary Club miniature telephone

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by David Askett, Feb 2, 2021.

1. David Askett

David Askett Well-Known Member

Not sure what to make of this. As you’ll see, it’s a miniature candlestick telephone. From the engraved inscriptions, it was presented to a Rotary Club chapter president in 1917. I have no idea what a telephone signifies to Rotarians - any ideas? I’m also not sure what it’s made of, but suspect it’s solid silver. There are no hallmarks but its very heavy for its size, at 15.1 ounces, I don’t see any worn plating, it’s non-magnetic, and the tarnished areas have the beautiful purplish-blue colour of old silver. May have to take this to an assayer to find out for sure. Whatever the case, I think it’s wonderful!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Maybe because it’s a rotary dial phone?

patd8643, komokwa and David Askett like this.
  3. David Askett

Could be that simple!

i need help likes this.
  4. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

That is so cool. I love it.

bercrystal and David Askett like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

According to the internet, George Brigden "was also a founder and the first president of the Rotary Club of Toronto." That was in 1912. But no rotary dials in Toronto until 1924.

Debora

6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

But this would be a candlestick phone (with no ringer box) and it would pre-date a rotary dial phone.

7. David Askett

Good point. So, it’s unlikely there’s a rotary phone / Rotary Club connection. It was a good thought, though!

Maybe Mr. Brigden, as the first president, simply spent a lot of time on the phone trying to get the Toronto chapter off the ground...

i need help and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

wow, an actual antique...on Antiquers !! :hilarious::hilarious:
    it's sooo cute !!!

i need help and David Askett like this.
  9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Me really like it!!!
    greg

David Askett likes this.
  10. David Askett

I could be wrong but I think I MAY have found the remains of a small hallmark:
    [​IMG]
    It’s very worn, if it is in fact a hallmark at all, but doesn’t look like a dent or ding to me through the loupe.

11. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

We didn't have dial phones on the farm where I was raised until about 1950. You would Pick up the phone and be sure no other party was on it (we had a 7 party line), turn the handle to ring the bell and tell the operator who you wanted to speak with - or perhaps give her a number if they had one or you could remember it. Seemed to work well in our small community!

Bookahtoo and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted