Roslyn China

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rebeccauk, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Rebeccauk

Rebeccauk New Member

Good Afternoon and thank you for accepting me onto the forum.

I have been asked to sell a vintage china set for my husbands Grandmother. Knowing nothing at all about antiques and less still about China I am approaching the task with trepidation.

One of the sets allotted for sale is this Roslyn (incomplete) Tea Set comprising 4 x tea cups, 3 x saucers and 6 x small (Cake?)plates.

I have been researching Roslyn since the lot arrived and I’m familiar with the Roslyn Wheatcroft Rose design however I note this set differs from that design with a trio of yellow roses on each piece. I’ve tried many a google search to find another set the same and haven’t come across one as yet so I’m wondering if this design has a name and if I can find out a little more about it before I look to sell it on.

Someone suggested it could be Royal Vale Yellow Roses but with it saying Roslyn on the base I'm assuming this is a different pottery with a similar design.

I hope the photographs are adequate – could anyone here give further information please? Many thanks in anticipation of responses.

Rebecca

Attached Files:

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

lauragarnet and pearlsnblume like this.
  3. Rebeccauk

Rebeccauk New Member

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi and WELCOME Rebecca!!! You should find at least some if not all of the help you need, here!!!

5. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Welcome, Rebecca! I can hardly claim to be an expert on Roslyn china but will do what I can to help. As you have noted this pattern is not Roslyn Wheatcroft. One of the things I have found so frustrating about selling Roslyn is the lack of pattern names. As far as selling I believe I would sell this as one lot noting the R692 in the title and description. I would use a title such as Roslyn China R692 Partial Set (13 pcs) - Yellow Roses. If that's too long drop the word "partial". The starting auction price should reflect what other partial tea sets are selling for. As you have not come across this pattern in your searching, the logical assumption is that it was not a widely distributed pattern. Accordingly, your buyer may be someone who likes yellow roses as opposed to someone looking for pieces to complete a set. Realistically, IMHO, you will be lucky to get $50 for the set. I know you would like to do much better for your husband's grandmother but it may have more value as a family heirloom at this point. There seems to be an abundance of English china from the 1950's - 1960s on the market right now. Please understand this is just my own opinion based on my own experience and I would be absolutely delighted if the set sells for much more. Best of luck to you.
    Don

Rebeccauk and Figtree3 like this.
  6. Rebeccauk

Rebeccauk New Member

Thank you so much Don

Draft saved Draft deleted